Pulp Fortress forum archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you have trouble playing stock maps

5 posters

Go down

If you have trouble playing stock maps Empty If you have trouble playing stock maps

Post by Nicobbq 8/2/2010, 21:35

Hey everyone, as you may know, I am playing TF2 on a laptop.
Laptops are generally not made for gaming and mine is no exception.
I couldnt play stock maps but I recently changed my configs and now
my framerate on stock maps is the same as orange maps. This is
awesome!

Right click on TF2 in steam and go to properties then launch options and type this : -dxlevel 81
After the first launch, you just have to go back to the launch options, you will not need it anymore.

After that put everything on "LOW" and put your the aliasing thing to "Billinear" (in the advanced video options)

It helped me a lot. Hope it helps you!
Nicobbq
Nicobbq
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

If you have trouble playing stock maps Empty Re: If you have trouble playing stock maps

Post by Epps 9/2/2010, 12:01

Thanks for the info (even though my laptop can handle stock maps). I'm sure there are more people here with older PC's/Laptops so I hope this works well for all of you. Anyway, when I play on an almost full server I start to get some FPS lag. Because of this I always put the settings one lower then is recommend (also do this in HL2). Works well for me and I'm not a graphics whore (I still play on the PS1) so it doesn't bother me Very Happy
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

http://www.epps.nl

Back to top Go down

If you have trouble playing stock maps Empty Re: If you have trouble playing stock maps

Post by Firestar 9/2/2010, 19:53

So what does this do?
Firestar
Firestar

Back to top Go down

Post by Firestar 10/2/2010, 22:38

Would this work for L4D2?
Firestar
Firestar

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 10/2/2010, 22:51

Firestar wrote:Would this work for L4D2?
I have no idea since I still haven't bought L4D2 since it is €50 which €20 more then I am willing to pay for it. But if it has the same engine I guess it would work. Just dont expect anything decent on a low end PC Wink
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

Back to top Go down

Post by Firestar 10/2/2010, 22:52

Okay, I won't expect anything decent on a low-end pc, as soon as I get one.

FYI my pc plays TF2 perfectly. It lags on L4D2 in some places, which can be annoying, so I was just wondering about this before I screwed up the game by putting it in.
Firestar
Firestar

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicobbq 10/2/2010, 22:53

I don't know if it would work, but why not give it a try.
Nicobbq
Nicobbq
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Firestar 10/2/2010, 22:54

Just did, and so far it seems to be performing better! I'll have to try some really laggy parts first tho...
Firestar
Firestar

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 10/2/2010, 23:02

Firestar wrote:Okay, I won't expect anything decent on a low-end pc, as soon as I get one.

FYI my pc plays TF2 perfectly. It lags on L4D2 in some places, which can be annoying, so I was just wondering about this before I screwed up the game by putting it in.
Do I smell a bit of rage here? Anyway, not trying to say that your computer is crap. It's just since you asked and everything I assumed it. But now I think of it, a lot of PC's get FPS lag in L4D2.

This is why I like consoles better, you wont have to be afraid of a game not performing right. Then again, PC is cheaper to upgrade. I guess they both have their good and bad things...
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

Back to top Go down

Post by Firestar 10/2/2010, 23:11

Sgt Pepper wrote:
Firestar wrote:Okay, I won't expect anything decent on a low-end pc, as soon as I get one.

Do I smell a bit of rage here? Anyway, not trying to say that your computer is crap. It's just since you asked and everything I assumed it. But now I think of it, a lot of PC's get FPS lag in L4D2.

This is why I like consoles better, you wont have to be afraid of a game not performing right. Then again, PC is cheaper to upgrade. I guess they both have their good and bad things...

Haha, no, I just felt like a slight rage right there.. Razz
And yeah, I really want a console, but my bitch of a mom won't even let me get one...
Firestar
Firestar

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Greezy 11/2/2010, 01:29

Firestar wrote:
Sgt Pepper wrote:

Haha, no, I just felt like a slight rage right there.. Razz
And yeah, I really want a console, but my bitch of a mom won't even let me get one...

Whoa whoa whoa. Don't call your mom a bitch! She brought you into this world. And consoles are for teh noobz, you're above the rest by playing on a computer.
Young Greezy
Young Greezy
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 11/2/2010, 10:04

I have a Dell Inspiron dual core so i was expecting to be able to play TF2 on it but i can't get over the FPS lag. I get an FPS of about 40-50. But when graphics go really fast (like with scout or a lot of players) it drops down in the red on many times. Btw i think an FPS of about 40-50 is even not very well playable, on my normal PC i get a rate of 100+ and it's not even a high end pc. Just a cheap 512MB AGP video card. I think i tried everything before, dxlevel, lower all settings. I even made a ticket at steam which i will copy/paste here. Furthermore i recommend Gamebooster. This nifty program turns off all windows background processes so there is more RAM/CPU available for the game.

Here my entire dialogue with steam support, i think it will have interesting information on it for laptop users.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Sgt Pepper on 11/2/2010, 10:45; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I dont like long posts -> spoiler tag for the whole conversation with steam support)
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

http://www.pulpfortress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 11/2/2010, 10:51

I installed gamebooster and guess what, the only programs it wants to close are Steam and Firefox Preloader. Not very usefull if you ask me...
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 11/2/2010, 11:15

It also closed a lot of background processes, what you are talking about are just regular programs. Besides you can select which programs to close and not to close.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

http://www.pulpfortress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down