Pulp Fortress forum archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Soldier tactics: If fighting involves Victory, then you must fight!

+2
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
Jonesie|UKCS|
6 posters

Go down

Soldier tactics: If fighting involves Victory, then you must fight! Empty Soldier tactics: If fighting involves Victory, then you must fight!

Post by Jonesie|UKCS| 20/2/2010, 05:14

As you know, Soldier is my second best class, apart from Sniper. My weapons of choice for the Soldier, are: Regular Rocket Launcher, The Gunboats & The Equilizer. I prefer the regular Rocket Launcher because it's far more powerful than the Direct Hit. I know that the regular Launcher is slow, but it is more powerful. I'm most deadly at close - Medium range. Close, because of the splash, Medium, because I know where the opponents going to be. If I'm fighting a enemy like a Heavy for example, then I dont aim at the floor, I aim AT him, that way I can see how much damage I'm doing, partially because I have a damage counter whenever I hit somebody, or whatever. If I'm fighting a Heavy + Medic Pair, I always go for the Medic first, which people always forget when they fight them or anything that's teamed up with a Medic. People always forget that, whenever they see it, or when they fight them.

If a enemy if running away from me, when I know he is damaged very badly, I aim infront of him, never at him because if you aim at him, then the rocket wont even reach him, it may hit another person from his team.

If you use the Gunboats, then there's only one thing that I dont like about it, it replaces you're Shotgun. But, the best part about it it takes away barely any of you're health as you Rocket Jump. If you're going to rocket jump on the tower, and you have like 50 HP, then rocket jump on the last ledge, and then if anyone's capturing the point, as you're in the air, fire down two maybe three rockets on them. If there are 3 people on the point, you may need to fire off a round or two to acutally kill them, or to defend you're point. If you have a medic with you, whilst you're doing it, then you maye have a chance to take them all down.

Other Rocket Launcher
If you use the Direct hit when you're at close range, not a good idea, because you're damage you'reself, like you do with the Regualr Rocket Launcher, but, probably do slightly less damage so, there is a god. I think that the Direct hit is good at Long Range, Medium Range and for doing those Airshots that you couldn't do with the Regular Rocket Launcher because it was to slow. It's great for killing Scouts with it, because, they fun fatser than you yes, but do they run fatser than a Rocket from the Direct Hit. If their on low HP, and I mean like 10 HP, then aim slightly just infront of them. Even though I dont use the Direct Hit, I know what I'm going to do with it. If you aim slightly infront of the enemy, and they have 10 HP, then there's no doubt that they will walk right into it, or it'll hit the ground first and then kill them, but either way, you still killed them.

However, unlike the Regular Rocket Launcher, you aim for the floor with that, with the Direct Hit, you aim AT THEM, make sure you aim right in their face! If you miss, not only do you have the chance not to kill them early, but, you also miss the chance to keep them back so they do hardly any damge to you with their weapons.

You keep this in mind, then you'll become a good Soldier. If you dont, then I'm afraid to say, that you should think about going back to the drawing boards of Soldier, or play a different class, because maybe Soldier isn't for you!

Jonesie|UKCS|
I am banned, sad face! Unban me! I don't deserve it !

Back to top Go down

Soldier tactics: If fighting involves Victory, then you must fight! Empty Re: Soldier tactics: If fighting involves Victory, then you must fight!

Post by LOOK IT'S ADAM!!! 20/2/2010, 07:52

My weapons of choice for the Soldier, are: Regular Rocket Launcher, The Gunboats & The Equilizer.

you sir, are my favorite type of soldier.
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Soldier tactics: If fighting involves Victory, then you must fight! Empty Re: Soldier tactics: If fighting involves Victory, then you must fight!

Post by Jonesie|UKCS| 20/2/2010, 08:55

They're the only Soldier weapons I like, if I'm honest with you.

Jonesie|UKCS|

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 20/2/2010, 13:59

I only found the gunboats this week but i must say soldier has become great fun now for me. Indeed i use the same set of weapons. Only i must say that direct hit can be great fun too, especially when hitting a scout. The direct hit does more damage as far as i can remember then the regular rocket launcher as long as you hit them on the body (does body or head make a difference?).

Also don't forget that with the gunboats you still have falling damage.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

http://www.pulpfortress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Firestar 21/2/2010, 13:01

My weapons of choice for the Soldier, are: Regular Rocket Launcher, The Gunboats & The Equilizer.

The gunboats are terrible, mainly because I never rocket jump. I use the Equalizer, mainly because the shovel is now worthless, and I switch between RL and DH.
Firestar
Firestar

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Zurkov 21/2/2010, 19:18

The Shotgun is good for SRSBZNS (you can plug 'em with that to guarantee they go down).

The Gunboats are good for hailing damage from the skies (rocketjumping gives a huge advantage).

The Buff Banner is awesome on decent-sized servers (more victims to generate rage, more teammates to effect).
Lord Zurkov
Lord Zurkov
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesie|UKCS| 27/2/2010, 05:41

Here are my other Soldier Tactics:
Probably the most easiest class to play. The soldier can either be a minor nuisance to a devastating MVP. Depending on you're skill, and the skill of youre allies, a Soldier can turn the tides of any battle.

Weapons

The Soldier's main weapon, The Rocket Launcher, can easily desolate most classes with a few hits, the Shotgun, finishing off the weaker enemies and the Shovel is great for Surprise Attacks!

There are several key tactics in order to use you're Rocket Launcher effectively, as we will see now.

Rule's of Soldiering

First, and most important rule! KEEP MOVING! You are the second slowest class, so standing around, shooting rockets will leave you open to all sorts of attacks. Jump, Strafe and Dodge, just like you are on fire. Dont be afraid to retreat for ammo and health when you're low. You're Rocket Launcher takes ages to reload, and an empty clip does nothing for you.

Second most important rule, is to keep aiming at the opponents feet. You're Rocket Launcher has a very large splash damage, and hitting the ground will hurt them, and if done right, can stall them by juggling. Keeping an enemy in the air with successful blast to the feet will usually disorientate them so they have trouble hitting you, but allow you to fire more accurate shots. It is possible to keep them in the air, with consecutive blasts, but it's even faster if you can blast them in midair.

The third most important rule, is to predict your enemy movements. if you know where your enemy is going, you can shoot the ground where they're going to be. Besides propelling you're opponents, your Rocket Launcher can propell yourself. Simply by jumping then shooting the ground beneath you, you can gain extra ground and surprise you're enemies. Remember, the key point of Rocket Jumping, is to get the first strike on you're enemy, or to get on equal ground with them.

BEWARE OF SENTRIES THOUGH

You can also use higher ground to rain destruction on you're enemies, and keep them guessing where you are. Use corners to your advantage! You can easily destroy opponents and buildings with the blast radius of you're rockets. Be aware that your Rocket Launcher does not depend on the curser in the middle but instead the position of the Rocket Launcher itself. Do be warned though, for the reverse can also hurt you.

Low Ammo

Keep an eye on you're ammo clip as you fight. The soldiers low yield of rockets can easily be emptied. Leaving you a rather ineffective Soldier. Always pick up you're enemies' ammo! If you run out of orckets before you kill you're foe, use you're shotgun to finish them off before they manage escape.

VS Scouts

Scouts can easliy desolate you if you are unable to react to their speed. They are also immune to juggling, since they can jump after being in the air. Your best chance is catching or luring them in a compact place, so they are unable to escape the xplosive blast's of the Rocket. Be careful though, their Scattergun can hurt alot if they can hit you with it. If you can't do that, make sure you hit them hard and fast! A great Scout will try to move in as soon as he thinks your out of Rockets. Interchange your weapons to lure them within your optimal range. Then meet them with an explosive greeting! But never, and I mean never try to fight them far at range. Their Pistol is much more accurate than your Shotgun and they can easily dodge Rocket fire. Ignoring this leads to rather pointless stalling.

VS Pyro's

Pyro's are you're seccond worst enemy. Because of their close range and pwer behind their flamethrowers. Its difficult to kill one without blowing you'reself up. Now with their Rocket reflecting capabilities, they have become quite a tricky thing to beat. Your best chance is to fire at their feet or general location to throw them away from you. This gets tricky if they can reflect you're shots, but interchanging weapon fire can counter this. Some Pyro's will try to lure you out so they can ambush you with the Backburner. Eventually they will get bored or move on, intercept them then. Juggling still works, if they cant move, they cant burn you. If all else fails, shoot at their feet!

VS Engineers

Engineers themselves are easy, but their Sentry Gun is a different problem. Your best luck is to bob and weave behind walls to take out unattended Sentries. Engineers who are tanking.... are much harder! If the Engineer is tanking his Sentry Gun, your best chance is to fire near the Engineer. The splash damage from the Rockets, can be too much for the Engineer's Dispenser to heal, and when he dies, the rest goes with it, with some well placed Rockets.

VS Heavies

Non-overhealed heavies take about 4 hits from your Rocket Launcher, and they can tear through you at you're optimal range. Your best bet is to find some cover, and pick them off as best you can. If you miss a Rocket, use you're Shotgun. Simply put, unleash everything you have on the Heavies.

VS Soldiers

Soldiers are you're worst enemy and counterpart. Each players style is different, so a specific Soldier strategy is impossible, keep in mind they will try the same tactics you're learning now. Just remember.... there is always a better Soldier out there!

So, why is the Soldier the easiest of all classes? Two words... Critical Rockets!

Jonesie|UKCS|

Back to top Go down

Post by DrManette 27/2/2010, 11:22

I love the Direct Hit because it is much harder to dodge, but I do miss the splash damage. Equilizer, Gunboats, and Shotgun are all great.
DrManette
DrManette

http://www.biofoxgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down