Pulp Fortress forum archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Impalsi Needs help with Virus

+4
Impalsi
ninji
vladmirbsl69
Eraserhead
8 posters

Go down

Impalsi Needs help with Virus Empty Impalsi Needs help with Virus

Post by Eraserhead 30/3/2010, 22:25

Impalsi wrote:My Internet Explorer is non-functional on one of my computers as a result of a virus that I can't seem to shake. Therefore, I am unable to download things from many servers (maps, custom hats, etc.). This has resulted in a lengthy join-time to the Pulp server (it attempts to download (and fails) the hats every time I connect, and it ends up taking upwards of 5 minutes).

My point here is that, during the rotation week, I was unable to play whenever it was any map but Orange_x3. While the wants of the many definitely outweigh my wants, I'm just letting you know that, in the event that we do a permanent map change, I will not be able to play half the time.

None of this will be a problem if anyone has a suggestion as to how I could make client downloads (like the maps and hats) default to using Mozilla Firefox.

jameless wrote:Check the proxy settings in your Internet Explorer. It's been very common lately that spyware and viruses have been changing this to their servers. It may resolve that issue.

Impalsi wrote:
Thanks Jameless, I'll certainly try this next time I'm on that computer (tomorrow night). Appreciate the suggestion!

(On a wholly unrelated note, I heard you talk for the first time last night. It was like catching a glimpse of heaven.)

Last edited by Eraserhead on 31/3/2010, 06:10; edited 2 times in total
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

http://www.pulpfortress.com

Back to top Go down

Impalsi Needs help with Virus Empty Re: Impalsi Needs help with Virus

Post by vladmirbsl69 30/3/2010, 22:26

mk?
vladmirbsl69
vladmirbsl69

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 30/3/2010, 22:27

Impalsi, i'm amazed that you are willing to accept the presence of a virus. I would format the computer as a last resort. The virus might also be a rootkit, which is the worst kind. It's actually a piece of malware that installs itself in the root of your computer, not in windows. Each time you remove it in windows and reboot it pops up again. It also disables your virus scanner and other programs. I would suggest this free tool to do a scan: http://www.greatis.com/security/reanimator.html
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ninji 30/3/2010, 22:28

@Impalsi

You should seriously look into reinstalling your OS. If you are having problems with downloading things all together, then you are missing a major component in your computers functions; unless you can remove the virus, reinstalling is a must. I certainly hope you have your OS disc.

EDIT: ninja'd by Eraser
ninji
ninji
Clan Member
Clan Member

http://www.tf2items.com/id/ijnin

Back to top Go down

Post by Impalsi 31/3/2010, 00:26

Thanks for posting this here, Eraser.

There is far too much information on the HD to back it up.
However, when the virus first manifested itself, it was in the form of something that purported to be an antivirus thing (as an application on the computer, after the infection, I'm not so stupid that I'd fall for one of those pop-up things). Anyway, this anti-virus thing locked down the computer entirely, preventing me from opening the command prompt, the task manager, everything.

I restarted the computer, got the task manager open before the virus's app loaded up, ended the program (but not the process), used Revo Uninstaller (a thorough uninstall program) to track it back to its folder and deleted the .exe there. The .exe came back though upon a reboot, and I can't remember what I did -- but I tracked down the thing making the .exe (maybe a .dll?) in a hidden folder and deleted that. This solved the computer lock-down problem, and all major manifestations of the virus, but it left my IE non-functioning. It may just be a setting that the virus changed, as opposed to its continuing presence. As I stated, I'll check the settings tomorrow.

I'm only having trouble using Internet Explorer. You know the page that shows prior to entering a game in TF2? Where you hit "continue" and it takes you to select your team (the one before the team-select). In PULP's case, this is a page laying out the rules, telling about server commands, etc. Anyway, this page, when on that computer, shows the typical "Internet Explorer cannot display..." page. I assume the download of the hats, of custom maps, etc., stems from IE, which would explain my inability to do so.

I can download and browse the web fine from Mozilla Firefox.

EDIT: I am also incapable of accessing the Steam store, and the internet through Steam. This suggests that it uses IE.
Impalsi
Impalsi
Junior Game Admin
Junior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jameless 31/3/2010, 00:49

Yep I would almost bet money on it being a proxy set in your lan settings in your internet options in Internet Explorer.
jameless
jameless
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Impalsi 31/3/2010, 00:58

jameless wrote:Yep I would almost bet money on it being a proxy set in your lan settings in your internet options in Internet Explorer.

That's good news, right? Pretty easy to fix?
Impalsi
Impalsi
Junior Game Admin
Junior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by vladmirbsl69 31/3/2010, 01:05

check your proxy settings.
vladmirbsl69
vladmirbsl69

Back to top Go down

Post by Impalsi 31/3/2010, 01:11

Eraserhead wrote:
Jameless wrote:Check the proxy settings in your Internet Explorer. It's been very common lately that spyware and viruses have been changing this to their servers. It may resolve that issue.

Jameless wrote:Yep I would almost bet money on it being a proxy set in your lan settings in your internet options in Internet Explorer.

Vladmirbsl69 wrote:check your proxy settings.

Little late to the party there, Vlad. What a Face
Impalsi
Impalsi
Junior Game Admin
Junior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by vladmirbsl69 31/3/2010, 01:13

i know. i just thought you accidently deleted all of the other replies so i tried to summarize what they said in an emergency back up.(i have no idea why i typed all this) lol! Japanese emoticon
vladmirbsl69
vladmirbsl69

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 31/3/2010, 01:23

Impalsi, do you use partitions on your harddrive? If so just format the windows partition and reinstal windows on that partition. All data on the other partition(s) will remain intact. That's how my laptop is set up and it works wonders I can tell you.

If you can't do that try to buy (or borrow) an external hard disc for a (temp) backup. €100 buys you 1.5TB with usb 2.0 and the much faster eSATA. Also consider what data you actually need. As an example my rig:
300GB total, 30GB free space.
122GB Music, 2GB Photo's, 1GB personal files, 60~80GB games, mods etc., 95GB programs, downloads that I haven't moved yet and stuff I forgot about.
The only things from the 270GB of data I have are my music collection, photo's and personal files which means making a backup of only 125GB instead of 300GB.
Funfact: I keep all my movies (mostly HD), backup and iso files on my 1TB external HD and it is full!

One last thing if you decide to let the virus rape your PC, switch to the Steam Beta UI, it doesn't use IE anymore!
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

http://www.epps.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 31/3/2010, 06:23

Ah Pepper said everything i wanted to say, try new steam version and partition your harddisks and make backup.

Also you could try to do a uninstall/reinstall of IE or an upgrade to a newer version?
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Impalsi 31/3/2010, 15:28

Sgt Pepper wrote:do you use partitions on your harddrive?
No. Also, assuming I did any of those and it actually is a virus instead of a faulty setting, how would I ensure that I was not reintroducing it when I brought back everything I backed up?

"usb 2.0" I'm assuming that's a USB cord.
"eSATA" no idea what that is.

Eraserhead wrote:Also you could try to do a uninstall/reinstall of IE or an upgrade to a newer version?
Tried it. Didn't work.
Impalsi
Impalsi
Junior Game Admin
Junior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Impalsi 31/3/2010, 15:30

jameless wrote:Yep I would almost bet money on it being a proxy set in your lan settings in your internet options in Internet Explorer.

I turned off the "use a proxy" setting. One click, and everything's functioning again.

Did I ever mention that you're my hero?

EDIT: Wait, so this means that, using nothing more than Revo Uninstaller, resourcefulness, and my razor-sharp wit, I defeated a virus?
Impalsi
Impalsi
Junior Game Admin
Junior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jameless 31/3/2010, 20:17

Glad to hear that worked for you!

cheers
jameless
jameless
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by vladmirbsl69 1/4/2010, 23:18

There should be a celebration! Well call it the day of the impalsi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOORAY ILL INVITE THE CLOWNS AND KING AND QUEENS AND JESTERS AND ELEPHANTS AND PIRATES AND EVERYONE ELSE! Very Happy Smile Sad Surprised Shocked Cool Laughing Mad Embarassed angel Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Wink Exclamation Question Idea Arrow Neutral What a Face Like a Star @ heaven Suspect I love you No @ cyclops clown pirat tongue silent pale alien cat monkey pig rabbit bounce confused affraid Basketball cheers bom drunken Sleep sunny albino cherry santa rendeer farao king jocolor geek scratch study elephant flower afro lol! Japanese emoticon bear panda Pinguin Impalsi Needs help with Virus 752759 franky ghost hippy Building a sentry dispenser duck hunt dog demoman engineer Heavy Medic Pyro Scout Sniper Soldier Spy backstab payload Gordon Freeman Headcrab combine Valve Impalsi Needs help with Virus 294967 Impalsi Needs help with Virus 241806 Impalsi Needs help with Virus 569868 Impalsi Needs help with Virus 740836 :chrome: Impalsi Needs help with Virus 801324 Impalsi Needs help with Virus 604138 Impalsi Needs help with Virus 338562 facepalm blossem Bubbles buttercup taz pac Approved by admin Approved by member Approved Konata approves! Hold it! Objection! ie fail
Edit by 12 year old girly NicoBBQ's pimp: you speak lies I tell you! taz pac blossem Bubbles buttercup

Last edited by vladmirbsl69 on 2/4/2010, 10:01; edited 1 time in total
vladmirbsl69
vladmirbsl69

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Greezy 1/4/2010, 23:20

vladmirbsl69 wrote:There should be a celebration! Well call it the day of the impalsi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOORAY ILL INVITE THE CLOWNS AND KING AND QUEENS AND JESTERS AND ELEPHANTS AND PIRATES AND EVERYONE ELSE! Very Happy Smile Sad Surprised Shocked Cool Laughing Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Mad Razz Rolling Eyes Embarassed Wink angel Exclamation Question Crying or Very sad Suspect Like a Star @ heaven What a Face Neutral Arrow Idea I love you No @ cyclops pig rabbit silent tongue pale alien cat monkey queen king jocolor elephant pirat clown etc.

...Way to use every single friggin emoticon.
Young Greezy
Young Greezy
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by vladmirbsl69 1/4/2010, 23:27

i didnt use everyone do you want me too?
vladmirbsl69
vladmirbsl69

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 2/4/2010, 00:16

vladmirbsl69 wrote:i didnt use everyone do you want me too?
FILTY EARTH LIES!
I'M ZIM!
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortelle-Corteau 2/4/2010, 04:17

once again we totally hijacked a thread Razz
Mortelle-Corteau
Mortelle-Corteau
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by vladmirbsl69 2/4/2010, 09:58

good observation captain obvious lol! jk jk but yes we are super hijackers also nico thank you for putting the rest on. i appreciate it
vladmirbsl69
vladmirbsl69

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 2/4/2010, 10:18

vladmirbsl69 wrote:good observation captain obvious lol! jk jk but yes we are super hijackers also nico thank you for putting the rest on. i appreciate it

>Edit by 12 year old girly NicoBBQ's pimp
That would be me but ow well...
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

Back to top Go down

Post by vladmirbsl69 2/4/2010, 10:19

oh then i apologize sgt. pepper i thank you
vladmirbsl69