Pulp Fortress forum archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Complaints about Orange Final

+3
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
Epps
Nicobbq
7 posters

Go down

Complaints about Orange Final Empty Complaints about Orange Final

Post by Nicobbq 10/4/2010, 11:47

Hey, we tried Orange Final for about 5 minutes.

As soon as people joined they raged, they wanted it back to X3. This map was way too crowded with textures and details and models, etc.

I made a poll and 77% of the users could barely run it because it was too laggy.

I play Orange because it's not crowded with shitz and gives me a good framerate. This map completely defeats this purpose and I could barely play it on my laptop.

You have to consider that people play orange because their PC isn't a warmachine.

These are the complaints I received and I agree with.

That's why I told Tendo that he needs to remove unecessary textures in the PULP orange. Sure it makes things look pretty and sexy but it kills everyone with a crappy PC, therefore a lot.
Nicobbq
Nicobbq
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Complaints about Orange Final Empty Re: Complaints about Orange Final

Post by Epps 10/4/2010, 12:03

People who have a crappy PC shouldn't play modern day video games to begin with. It's not our problem that they have shitty old hardware. Complaining about having lag on a 2001 PC when playing a 2008 game is the same as complaining about how IE6 can't render modern day websites properly.
Anyway, that's just how feel about this...
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

http://www.epps.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by LOOK IT'S ADAM!!! 10/4/2010, 12:12

properly HINTing a map will cut down on all lag, but it takes a bit of know-how.
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jameless 10/4/2010, 12:46

Orange final wasn't a map made by us so to change it this way would require someone to decompile it first.
jameless
jameless
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hyce777 10/4/2010, 13:15

Decompiling isn't an issue. I don't really see the problem with shit hardware, I'm running a 2004 compaq presario desktop with a 2.1 ghz single core, and a 2003 ATI radeon 9600 GPU. Most settings on low, a few on medium-high (model detail, texture detail), and I can run any stock map just fine.
hyce777
hyce777
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 10/4/2010, 13:18

HINTing whats that?

Anyway orange just has the reputation of giving people a good FPS so if a new orange map stops doing that then i think it's a failure regardless of Sgt. Pepper's vision on it (which i agree with). It would simply mean we would loose a large part of our userbase we have build up over the last half year and that cannot be anyone's intention.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

http://www.pulpfortress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Greezy 10/4/2010, 13:24

My feelings right now are that for now, we should rotate maps like orange, with minimal textures, in the main server. Maybe we can play ones like viper or orange_pulp, etc, but they have to have minimal detail. When the time comes, and we have enough money to open up a second full time public server, maybe that server could run maps like Orange Final, pulpmill, stock maps, etc.

However, with that being said, I'm still a huge fan of any map that fixes the problems with X3. I think Tendo's map does a fine job. I'm also interested in this technique Adam spoke of to make these maps easier on the system.
Young Greezy
Young Greezy
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 10/4/2010, 13:34

hyce777 wrote:Decompiling isn't an issue. I don't really see the problem with shit hardware, I'm running a 2004 compaq presario desktop with a 2.1 ghz single core, and a 2003 ATI radeon 9600 GPU. Most settings on low, a few on medium-high (model detail, texture detail), and I can run any stock map just fine.
^Point proven.

But the thing is, should we really restrict ourselves from using more detailed maps just because a few people on the server cant play any other map than orange_x3? I'm sure most of the people could easily run other maps without any lag but well...
this is a though call.
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

http://www.epps.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 10/4/2010, 13:43

Well i say lets just try tendo's map. If people complain about lag maybe he can simplify it more. Just do polls like impalsi did.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

http://www.pulpfortress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LOOK IT'S ADAM!!! 10/4/2010, 13:59

Eraserhead wrote:HINTing whats that?

hinting is breaking up the visleafs of the map. done properly, it can result in the source engine only drawing what you see, rather than everything all at once. done poorly, however, and it can actually make it worse.

the valve developer wiki touches on it, but it's hard to explain without you knowing a bit about the direct3d API.
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down