Pulp Fortress forum archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

well, testing of orange_b_n went underway...

+11
The Mad Hatter
ninji
hyce777
Young Greezy
Google
Furgus
miht
FUBAR
Eraserhead
Epps
Tendo
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

well, testing of orange_b_n went underway... - Page 2 Empty Re: well, testing of orange_b_n went underway...

Post by Eraserhead 22/4/2010, 10:22

Here is the list: http://www.pulpfortress.com/custom%20hats/main.html

I can also port most models found here: http://www.fpsbanana.com/skincats/4171

A second level? You mean everyone will spawn at second and then have to go to 1st?
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

http://www.pulpfortress.com

Back to top Go down

well, testing of orange_b_n went underway... - Page 2 Empty Re: well, testing of orange_b_n went underway...

Post by Tendo 22/4/2010, 12:58

Eraserhead wrote:
A second level? You mean everyone will spawn at second and then have to go to 1st?

It will still be one spawn room, just two levels adding s'more depth and class :silent
Doesnt need to be, just anoter idea Smile

http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/82521
Tendo
Tendo
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ninji 22/4/2010, 18:35

Terrific choice, my friend.
ninji
ninji
Clan Member
Clan Member

http://www.tf2items.com/id/ijnin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 23/4/2010, 10:18

Your hat is working Very Happy
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mad Hatter 25/4/2010, 10:22

My suggestions:

1. Simplify the map name. The longer the name the more people will avoid it, trust me. Orangebn would be fine, the underscores make it unsightly.

2. Rotate between maps after a best-of-three match. Sure, three games are pretty long on orange but it'll cause more orange pubs to stick around for the transition to the new map rather than on a daily basis.
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Attention whore
Attention whore

Back to top Go down

Post by Tendo 25/4/2010, 12:57

1. Thanks for comming out, that was the plan from the start

2.This is how to improve the map, physcally. Sure it may drag more people in it, but that is more server-rotation related.
Tendo
Tendo
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by LOOK IT'S ADAM!!! 25/4/2010, 15:27

i'm not sure if you caught it, but there's a nodraw that went untextured on a wall near the tower.
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 25/4/2010, 16:06

Are there any more suggestions? Then Tendo can make the next version, and perhaps final version?
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 25/4/2010, 16:27

Nope, no suggestions here. Only stuff I can think off right now are jokes/eggs like a hidden room with the tf2 announcer in it xD
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

http://www.epps.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 25/4/2010, 18:05

eggs? lol

Tendo, what i suggest is that you just don't make the final map just yet but lets try out one more version before we do the final orange_x3_pulp or maybe other suggestions for the final mapname anyone, Mad Hatter already suggested something but personally i like _pulp.

I also have some doubts about the containers you can climb on currently, it is maybe to ideal for a sniper. I noticed that i could not get around the tower anymore without the sniper standing on there be able to see me coming, on the original orange that is easier to do.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 25/4/2010, 22:52

Tendo made a new version and i put it on the server. It's called orange_x3_pulp_f1.
Only problem was that after playing for 20 minutes the server crashed at 22:35.
I could not find anything in the logs. So we should do some more testing to see if it happens again.

Changes in new map:
-players can't get on container anymore
-instead there is a small wall behind it so an engie can build a sentry there
-teleport room removed
-sun angle changed
-minor changes on walls
-rooftop pimped up
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LOOK IT'S ADAM!!! 26/4/2010, 02:13

Eraserhead wrote:Tendo made a new version and i put it on the server. It's called orange_x3_pulp_f1.
Only problem was that after playing for 20 minutes the server crashed at 22:35.
I could not find anything in the logs. So we should do some more testing to see if it happens again.

tendo sent me the .vmf file, the "check for problems" window was quite large. why the fences were dynamic props i'll never know.

anyways, i fixed it up some, trimmed up faulty outputs and some other stuff. if it still crashes after it's done compiling it's not the map. however, it's not very well optimized. 30 minutes in and it's only about 2 % compiled.
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tendo 26/4/2010, 12:06

LOOK IT'S ADAM!!! wrote:

tendo sent me the .vmf file, the "check for problems" window was quite large. why the fences were dynamic props i'll never know.

I didnt change them, since the orignal Laughing

You can run on fast, mine finished it in 10 mins...
Tendo
Tendo
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by LOOK IT'S ADAM!!! 26/4/2010, 12:20

it finished by the time i woke up, no problems. i'll get the vmf back to you as soon as i can, i have class until 3:00 pm PST(-8:00) today.
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mad Hatter 26/4/2010, 12:56

I think the next step is to identify the role that the server has and the frequency you should use the new map.

Myself, What Would Green Do For You?, Oops/Rage for the Rage God all live together and we chose Pulp as our regular server because we like Orange. We like straight up FPS without some of the extra bullshit Valve has thrown in on a lot of other maps. Now, if you look on the server browser for other Orange 3 maps, you'll find that they're all stupid niches. Low gravity. 100% Crit. On another continent high ping/foreign language players. This server is the only vanilla Orange 3 that consistently has players.

People come to your server because it's the only reliable no-bullshit Orange x3 out there. You have thrice as many regulars as you have clan members because of it. Pubs come for the same reason. I'd be surprised if less than the majority of Pulp didn't find the server for the very same thing I've repeated.

So just remember that before you decide to throw on the new version for a day at a time, and perhaps just turn on the new map at peak hours and *turn it back to orangex3 before you leave* so the server doesn't have to sit at 0-10 players until another admin logs on or peak hours arrive 18 hours later.

I like the map, I really do. Having a little variety is great and I'd love the map if you moved the healthpacks away from being ontop Points 2 & 4. I just want a larger stock of enemies to kill.
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Attention whore
Attention whore

Back to top Go down

Post by Tendo 26/4/2010, 15:51

The Mad Hatter wrote:

I like the map, I really do. Having a little variety is great and I'd love the map if you moved the healthpacks away from being ontop Points 2 & 4. I just want a larger stock of enemies to kill.

Dont come on the forum to start shit, at least not on my topics. You've harassed me before that you dont like me or the map, and once again, this is a server issue, not the map. Imagen we have a seperate server and its on there too. Why would you keep talking about the orignal one?

Me and you clearly dont get along...Please dont respond to this, just move along. Thanks
I dont want any drama or anything, just give me the respect i give you by ignoring you.

Back to the MAP ISSUES Not server rotation problems
Tendo
Tendo
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mad Hatter 26/4/2010, 17:09

You really can't even take constructive criticism on your map, can you? There was nothing in that last post to merit your smartass reply.

I really don't want to talk about you anymore Tendo, as self important as you try to feel I'm here to talk about the map. My opinion is valid even if I have criticisms about your BETA map. Stop being defensive, some of us just miss the server being full.
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Attention whore
Attention whore

Back to top Go down

Post by ninji 26/4/2010, 18:15

The Mad Hatter wrote:
Spoiler:
I have to agree with everything you said. And, I am sorry Tendo, but his statement absolutely relates to the topic at hand.

As far as map specific criteria, the health pack concern is one to consider, not necesarily take action on, but to weigh out how it affects Orange game play.
ninji
ninji
Clan Member
Clan Member

http://www.tf2items.com/id/ijnin

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Greezy 26/4/2010, 18:27

What the hatter says does make sense, yes. Addressing the low player count though, we need to give it time. (I've got a much more in depth post on this earlier in this topic). Just like when the server first started, it wasn't populated well for a few months. Just have patience, and it will return to greatness, with a new better map. I disagree on rotating it though. Unless we do a full out rotation of like 5 maps, rotating between an original (X3) and a fixed version of that seems rather silly, as we're just giving a better version half the time, and a worse version the other half.
Young Greezy
Young Greezy
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Tendo 26/4/2010, 18:42

ninji wrote:
As far as map specific criteria, the health pack concern is one to consider, not necesarily take action on, but to weigh out how it affects Orange game play.

The medkits were the first thing to appear, and will stay. It is one of the only major game changers. I admit, i love and hate them... Burning scouts dont die anymore, but then you need more skill Neutral
Tendo
Tendo
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by miht 26/4/2010, 19:27

Young Greezy wrote:What the hatter says does make sense, yes. Addressing the low player count though, we need to give it time. (I've got a much more in depth post on this earlier in this topic). Just like when the server first started, it wasn't populated well for a few months. Just have patience, and it will return to greatness, with a new better map. I disagree on rotating it though. Unless we do a full out rotation of like 5 maps, rotating between an original (X3) and a fixed version of that seems rather silly, as we're just giving a better version half the time, and a worse version the other half.
Some people like a break in between. but tendos version ofcourse is king. but wat do you want to do... what we need to do now is to make tendos map WELL KNOWN.

And and ..... tendo im having probelm getting in spawn. the door sometimes won;t open... o:
miht
miht
Junior Game Admin
Junior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LOOK IT'S ADAM!!! 26/4/2010, 19:48

eraserhead, i've go a fixed version of the map, give me a holler when you want it.

or, if you'd like, i could try and optimize it a bit. i noticed a stunning lack of hint brushes and areaportals.
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 26/4/2010, 19:55

I think all good insights will come after some more playingtime. The healthpack spots are a though subject, you would really need to move them around on the future map versions to find out which are good spots. I like the one beside the container but maybe the one on cp2/4 should be moved, i don't know.

I agree with Geezy that switching hence and forth to orange_x3 feels silly but then i again i will always love orange_x3 and i agree with Mad Hatter that this is the map that has earned us our current playerbase (that, and all the events we did to fill up the server each day Smile ).

So i think we can keep switching back to orange_x3 when it's empty and when there are players on the server one of the admins can do a map vote. Once players are on the server they get introduced to the new map that way without them maybe not having connected to the server perhaps because they saw another mapname.

But to be honest i think we have a steady userbase that is not all that big, Some people come very frequently, like almost everyday, and then you don't see them anymore. I think this is either a category of gamers that is just playing another game or either they have moved on to other servers/maps for various reasons (more desire for stockmaps, other custom maps, competitive play, joined a clan w/e).

Sorry for making this into a population discussion Tendo, but i do think it's a very important topic. I spent a lot of time in this getting the playerbase we have now. It's also an interesting subject, it's similar to marketing. But lets keep talking about the map and possible new versions and improvements. Let's never forget to keep our orange map simple and the fps high. So far we succeeded at this by removing the underground tunnels and the teleporter room and Tendo improved the fps by using better textures then used in orange_x3.

Maybe another future map can be like exactly the same size and shape but the controlpoint in the middle something different? I was thinking about and deep basement but maybe that would be too easy for demomen i don't know. It would be great to make some really brilliant maps which become popular over time and delivering great fun. Apart from the fact that a lot of people play orange_x3 for a good fps it's also just a brilliant push map that really needs a cooperative team to win the game and because capping the last point is so hard it keeps the game going on endlessly and players connected. Because of the open space and small size it also brings some sort of a deathmatch element. I think all these things together make orange the succesful map it is. So if we can put these elements into future maps we will have great fun. We should also learn from other maps which fail. Look at purple_x for instance, it's fun but not as much fun as orange_x3.

http://www.pulpfortress.com/maprate.php?sort=ratings

Orange_x3 = 3.37 (1487 votes)
Orange_x3_pulp_b2_dev = 3.29 (211 votes)
Orange_x3_pulp_f1 = 3.69 (16 ratings)

Thanks to maprate plugin we can keep track of how people rate the map.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mad Hatter 26/4/2010, 22:01

Moving the medkits and ammo off of the point should be a non-issue. Moving them down behind the wall isn't all that hard, is it? You shouldn't be able to heal yourself while capping a point, it's been an unspoken rule since TFC. Alternatively, do we even need them there? The shipping container's a short walk away even for a Heavy and there's a medkit/ammo spot there.
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Attention whore
Attention whore

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Greezy 26/4/2010, 22:05

I would propose making the one by the container a half and getting rid of the ones by the 2nd points.
Young Greezy
Young Greezy
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next