Pulp Fortress forum archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edit your Steam.styles and change an assortment of things!

2 posters

Go down

Edit your Steam.styles and change an assortment of things! Empty Edit your Steam.styles and change an assortment of things!

Post by ninji 3/5/2010, 20:06

I was snooping around Steam's files to find a way to change the background image for Team Fortress 2 from its crummy beta pictures, to its more recent pictures; I didn't find a way, I would imagine its server side.

But instead I found a way to change a few things about Steam such as Online and Offline color, Steam's font, notification position, duration, and its slide direction. This might sound weird, but it will make sense soon.

In order to do follow me fluidly, I recommend you download Notepad++. It is a fantastic file editing program. Now, programs such as Notepad and EditPad will work, but Notepad++ is far more versatile and grants the ability to jump to specific lines within the file.

Close Steam first

Navigate to the following:
DRIVE:\Program Files\Steam\resource\styles
Where DRIVE is the drive Steam is installed on.

Then find the file called steam.styles and open it in Notepad++ (or whichever program you are going to use). If you are adept with computer, you can stop reading here because it is a fairly simple file to edit, but for those of you who are not sure how to procede, read on.

Editing Notifications:
Using Notepad++, click Search and find Go to. In the open field enter 165, and hit enter. Here is where you can edit your notifications, and it is a very simple and straightforward process to change its values, as it explains to you what your options are. So I will not explain it here. But here is mine:
Edit your Steam.styles and change an assortment of things! Hwwxw2
The value for [$OSX] is for Mac users, if I am not mistaken

Editing Friends Colors:
Now, use Search/Go to again and find line 212. This part is also very straight forward, and you need only know the values for colors. You can use this site for reference.
It is very important that you remove the hyphen's from the color values, and it is equally important to put 225 at the end of every value. For example, here is my .styles:
Edit your Steam.styles and change an assortment of things! 2gxk7yb

Editing Steam Font:
Use Search/Go to to find line 30. This part is the easiest of all. Simply copy and paste the name of a font you have installed on your computer. If you are unfamiliar with your fonts, go to Microsoft Word or a similar word processing program, and find a nifty looking font. I am using Segoe Media Center Semibold, and it is far better than Arial, because Arial is hard to read.

Now, save your steam.styles file, and run Steam. You should see the effects instantly.

Here is what mine looks like.
ninji
ninji
Clan Member
Clan Member

http://www.tf2items.com/id/ijnin

Back to top Go down

Edit your Steam.styles and change an assortment of things! Empty Re: Edit your Steam.styles and change an assortment of things!

Post by Epps 3/5/2010, 20:11

Nice find! Just wondering about the colors, are these RGB or HSV codes and wouldn't the last one be transparency?
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

http://www.epps.nl

Back to top Go down

Edit your Steam.styles and change an assortment of things! Empty Re: Edit your Steam.styles and change an assortment of things!

Post by ninji 3/5/2010, 20:15

Sgt Pepper wrote:Nice find! Just wondering about the colors, are these RGB or HSV codes and wouldn't the last one be transparency?
RGB, and the last code is transparency.
ninji
ninji
Clan Member
Clan Member

http://www.tf2items.com/id/ijnin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down