Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!)

Post by wtfisaboolet1234 on 10/7/2010, 13:26

Cake wrote:Well, the FJ is pretty awesome because I generally don't need to use my regular shotgun. The mini sentry builds itself up so fast that I almost never use my shotgun. Exceptions are when the sentry is destroyed of course, but you must've made at least 1 kill with your sentry giving you 2 crits.

You will need to use your shotgun with the mini-sentry. The mini sentry does shit for damage and most of its kills will be from shooting at a weakened opponent(hence the term offensive engy where you put sentries in small concealed ambush spots)

I was carrying the intel on 2fort and ran head first into a mini sentry(as spy, 125 hp) into the sewers and managed to run by it without dieing...

I also remember a pyro was chasing me, so i put it down, pyro comes after me and sees the sentry and starts to flame it, then my sentries combined fire and my shotgun kill the pyro


Last edited by wtfisaboolet1234 on 10/7/2010, 18:07; edited 1 time in total
wtfisaboolet1234
wtfisaboolet1234

Posts : 325
Join date : 2010-05-04
Age : 26
Location : At the gym benching 500.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!)

Post by Cake on 10/7/2010, 14:07

When you use your wrangler, you shoot 2x faster + your sentry has +66% damage resistance. Maybe your playing style is way different than mine.
The thing is that I haven't played the engineer class seriously until the update was released. I had like only 2 hours of engineering, so I might play way different than anyone else does.
Cake
Cake
Clan Member
Clan Member

Posts : 238
Join date : 2010-05-02
Age : 24
Location : Rotterdam, The Netherlands

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!)

Post by Hoboapple on 10/7/2010, 14:41

The biggest thing when using the gunslinger is

TAKE ADVANTAGE OF QUICK REBUILD TIMES AND CONSTANTLY BE ON THE MOVE

Also, this is just a personal thing, but if i see a metal pack nearby, I'll build my minisentry for quick defense and then build a dispenser. Then I'll upgrade it (maybe) and move up.
Hoboapple
Hoboapple

Posts : 527
Join date : 2010-04-11
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!)

Post by Siphex on 11/7/2010, 03:25

I use the gunslinger to just put a mini-sentry to cover an important area (important medkit or alternative entrance) and then I will use the default shotgun to get into some fights (which thanks to the bonus health from the gunslinger this isn't hopeless.) Thanks to the 4x build speed I can just demolish my mini-sentry and build a new one very quickly if we are moving up or I find a new area I want to cover.

I really find no use for the new shotgun unless your a camper who sits at his little engineer-farm all round as he will get many kills and not just assists. 3 shots is too few for most fights and as a camper your sentry is often destroyed after you and demolishing the sentry yourself is really not something you want to do with a lvl 3 sentry.

Sure moving buildings are useful but takes too long time and leaves you very vulnerable especially since you will have to run once for the sentry which has a long build time if you've upgraded it and once for the dispenser. I mostly use it for slight adjustments and moving up my dispenser when we cap a new point (keep in mind I play gunslinger.)
Siphex
Siphex
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Posts : 135
Join date : 2010-05-22
Age : 26
Location : Where the Grass is Greener.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!)

Post by UberLord on 11/7/2010, 03:58

I think there is more to it than just the right equipment. Alo, I'm wandering blindly into this topic becuase I do not have the time to read this whole page of posts with more than 2 paragraphs...
Anyway, I think there are a few benefactors to how efficient you sentry. There are a few things to take in. Ask yourself these questions before placing a sentry.

1: Population. One benafactor is how trafficed the area is and how often do people take the area. What classes will pass here? How many will probably come? If you place a sentry into a populated area 2 things could happen.
1) You could rack up a few kills and have your sentry die quickly.
2) Your sentry will get less kills but holds them off longer, do to them trying to avoid being damage by either abusing areas in the range section, or just taking a different path.

2: Range.How could this category be abused in this spot? Is it safe to stay or high tail it out and hope for the best? Rember that your sentry does have limited range, so you will need to remember that certain enemies can eliminate a sentry using tactics such as staying out of ranging and repeatedly firing until he achievemes his objective of killing the sentry. They could abuse the speed of the sentry and take quick shots and retreat. Or they could abuse how the sentry aims for the center of the body while your weapon is in the upp half of your body, making it so that an elevated sentry cannot hit you by hidinng slightly behind objects. Or soldiers and demos can abuse splash damage.

3: Camouflage or how hidden your sentry is. Do people expect it in that area? Will they have any time to react? Is it easy to see? Can you protect it without being spotted? Camouflage can be used with your sentry behind giant objects or stairs where they will rarely be seen and could still be an effective line of defense. You don't usually need camo for defense, but as an offensive engi you want to get them without them destroying your sentry or, worst case scenario, you.
UberLord
UberLord

Posts : 374
Join date : 2010-04-09
Age : 23
Location : playing tf2 or gmod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!)

Post by Hoboapple on 11/7/2010, 08:38

Mini-sentry in common place + pistol = 9 kills with one minisentry!
Hoboapple
Hoboapple

Posts : 527
Join date : 2010-04-11
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!)

Post by Eraserhead on 12/7/2010, 12:07

This is what i learned from playing engineer in offensive mode Smile :

-Build a level2 sentry and then move it to the frontlines, enemies will see you deploying and try to destroy your sentry, just keep slapping your sentry while running around it simultaneously dodging shots and preventing the destruction of your sentry.
-As soon as it's up (should go fast since you already build it to level2 and just have to re-deploy it and goes extra fast when slapping it) switch to the wranger which makes it virtually indestructible
-now you can make long distance kills. Only problem with lvl2 and 3 is that you run out of bullets fast. Make sure you have dispenser nearby in a covered area. while running for ammo switch to your wrangler again, your sentry will just sit there but meanwhile it has a comfortable shield.
-if you just killed a wave of enemies upgrade your sentry to lvl3 or you can move your dispenser to the frontlines as well so you don't have run back and forth
-another tip for pre-building sentries and moving them to the frontline is just upgrading it so just isn't level2 or level3 but just under! So it only needs one more slap to upgrade to the next level. That way you can re-deploy fast and upgrade fast when YOU want to
-I also learned a level1 normal sentry (so not with the gunslinger) is very powerful in combination with the wranger

Personally i haven't used the gunslinger a lot but i guess Cake is right; if you use it with the wranger and FJ you can be quite offensive. But not as deadly with a level3 and wrangler camping the other team in offensive position hehe.

I think Valve did a good job with this upgrade. They always try to keep the harmony in the game; while giving perks it also gives you weaknesses. For instance spies have more fun now because they can backstab you with getting shot by the sentry if wrangler is used (if he saps in 3 secs). And the soldier with direct hit has now become very important as an answer to long range wrangler engies. I do think however engie has become OP in some situations like attack/defend maps which leaves us with decisions to make about class limits. Maybe we should limit the engie class on the rotation server as well?

_________________
Greetz,

Eraserhead

Young Greezy wrote:I'll murder your face in half
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Posts : 3170
Join date : 2009-11-14
Age : 43
Location : Suriname

View user profile http://www.pulpfortress.com

Back to top Go down

Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!)

Post by wtfisaboolet1234 on 12/7/2010, 13:28

Eraserhead wrote:This is what i learned from playing engineer in offensive mode Smile :

-Build a level2 sentry and then move it to the frontlines, enemies will see you deploying and try to destroy your sentry, just keep slapping your sentry while running around it simultaneously dodging shots and preventing the destruction of your sentry.
-As soon as it's up (should go fast since you already build it to level2 and just have to re-deploy it and goes extra fast when slapping it) switch to the wranger which makes it virtually indestructible
-now you can make long distance kills. Only problem with lvl2 and 3 is that you run out of bullets fast. Make sure you have dispenser nearby in a covered area. while running for ammo switch to your wrangler again, your sentry will just sit there but meanwhile it has a comfortable shield.
-if you just killed a wave of enemies upgrade your sentry to lvl3 or you can move your dispenser to the frontlines as well so you don't have run back and forth
-another tip for pre-building sentries and moving them to the frontline is just upgrading it so just isn't level2 or level3 but just under! So it only needs one more slap to upgrade to the next level. That way you can re-deploy fast and upgrade fast when YOU want to
-I also learned a level1 normal sentry (so not with the gunslinger) is very powerful in combination with the wranger

Personally i haven't used the gunslinger a lot but i guess Cake is right; if you use it with the wranger and FJ you can be quite offensive. But not as deadly with a level3 and wrangler camping the other team in offensive position hehe.

I think Valve did a good job with this upgrade. They always try to keep the harmony in the game; while giving perks it also gives you weaknesses. For instance spies have more fun now because they can backstab you with getting shot by the sentry if wrangler is used (if he saps in 3 secs). And the soldier with direct hit has now become very important as an answer to long range wrangler engies. I do think however engie has become OP in some situations like attack/defend maps which leaves us with decisions to make about class limits. Maybe we should limit the engie class on the rotation server as well?


The wrangler is meant for defensive, hence the shield. l2p noob

And I don't understand you're tip for having it just under the previous level to go faster... if anything it goes slower. cause after the level 1 with 175/200 is built you have to slap it again which makes it unable to do anything for a few secs. easier to just have it upgraded already
wtfisaboolet1234
wtfisaboolet1234

Posts : 325
Join date : 2010-05-04
Age : 26
Location : At the gym benching 500.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!)

Post by Eraserhead on 12/7/2010, 13:33

Having it upgraded already takes more time to deploy it when going offensive. When you just leave it to depoly with one slap you can upgrade it after you've killed nearby enemies and have 2 seconds breathing space.

Well it might be meant for defensive but my entire post was about offensive and i've succesfully done it this way with an 11 killstreak. Reason why it works on orange is because of the long range.

_________________
Greetz,

Eraserhead

Young Greezy wrote:I'll murder your face in half
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Posts : 3170
Join date : 2009-11-14
Age : 43
Location : Suriname

View user profile http://www.pulpfortress.com

Back to top Go down

Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!)

Post by Google on 12/7/2010, 13:56

How to be a good defensive engineer:

1. Make sure the opposing team is trying to cap the last point.
2. Build a sentry and dp on the right side of spawn close to the resupply closet.
3. Camp on top of your sentry using The Wrangler.

Note: If an ubered enemy comes, just pick up your sentry and run to the resupply closet. Then place sentry in same spot after uber has ran out.
Google
Google
Clan Member
Clan Member

Posts : 998
Join date : 2010-04-01
Age : 26
Location : New York, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!)

Post by Eraserhead on 13/7/2010, 07:57

lol haha yes picking up your sentry is a good tactic i used that too. but with this tactic a demoman could still blow up your sentry if he is fast by stickyjumping on the building next to spawn. And it think the only class to destroy the sentry in an ubered fashion would be a scout so he can jump into spawn?

_________________
Greetz,

Eraserhead

Young Greezy wrote:I'll murder your face in half
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Posts : 3170
Join date : 2009-11-14
Age : 43
Location : Suriname

View user profile http://www.pulpfortress.com

Back to top Go down

Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!)

Post by vladmirbsl69 on 13/7/2010, 09:20

gunslinger=offensive regular=partially defensive partially offensive
vladmirbsl69
vladmirbsl69

Posts : 1091
Join date : 2010-03-01
Age : 23
Location : Myrtle Beach, SC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!)

Post by wtfisaboolet1234 on 13/7/2010, 15:47

Google wrote:How to be a good defensive engineer:

1. Make sure the opposing team is trying to cap the last point.
2. Build a sentry and dp on the right side of spawn close to the resupply closet.
3. Camp on top of your sentry using The Wrangler.

Note: If an ubered enemy comes, just pick up your sentry and run to the resupply closet. Then place sentry in same spot after uber has ran out.


LOOK AT MY SOLO VICTORY SCREENSHOT AND PRAISE ME
wtfisaboolet1234
wtfisaboolet1234

Posts : 325
Join date : 2010-05-04
Age : 26
Location : At the gym benching 500.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum