Pulp Fortress forum archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front Page Revamp

4 posters

Go down

Front Page Revamp Empty Front Page Revamp

Post by Nick 12/7/2010, 19:57

I noticed some things about the front page that seem silly, or could be modified to be better. I will list them below

• No Game Tracker Picture even though it matches our site
  • Useless links on the side like Contact, and About us(since it is displayed on main page already)
  • Google Ad, can we have it across the bottom please, would look better.
  • The center column should be filled with news or the stuff in the change log that jameless puts out
  • Our Banner, I believe it can be better, maybe have people make one like a contest?
  • The orange in the links should be the same as the orange background in the middle, or vise versa

Post more ideas or comments if you have them maybe we can make our site even better than before
Nick
Nick
Clan Recruiter
Clan Recruiter

Back to top Go down

Front Page Revamp Empty Re: Front Page Revamp

Post by Havik 13/7/2010, 14:17

Chuck wrote:I noticed some things about the front page that seem silly, or could be modified to be better. I will list them below

• No Game Tracker Picture even though it matches our site
  • Useless links on the side like Contact, and About us(since it is displayed on main page already)
  • Google Ad, can we have it across the bottom please, would look better.
  • The center column should be filled with news or the stuff in the change log that jameless puts out
  • Our Banner, I believe it can be better, maybe have people make one like a contest?
  • The orange in the links should be the same as the orange background in the middle, or vise versa

Post more ideas or comments if you have them maybe we can make our site even better than before

• Gametracker pictures yes help, but they divert peoples attention. Also, it would make the homepage crowded. There could be a seperate page with all the server info though, but is not necessary. Clean website is a better website. It allows users attention to be focused on what they are looking for, and not too look at flashy ads the whole time.

• Those links are useful. They fit there description, and they have exactly what they are supposed to have. The links are there to help people be guided easier, make there browsing easier.

• The google ad does seem to be in an odd spot, but across the bottom would seem more odd because if it were to be streched across the bottom (like a banner) then it would look bad.

• The middle column yes could be turned into a "news blog" section, but having to implement a blogging code could take a while, and would be much easier to just make a wordpress template, and that is kind of hard to do.

• I don't mind the banner TBH. The only thing that bugs me is that the spy behind the time makes it hard to read the orange time.

• The link colour is the same as the BG I think... They don't really have to be changed... sure they can be changed if wanted / needed.
Havik
Havik

http://www.sharpstyles.co.cc

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 13/7/2010, 14:30

What do you mean by gametracker picture? One of their banners? I don't think they are relevant because we have our own ranking plugin and the rankings from gametracker are stupid because if you change your name you are someone else.

It is interesting to check our server rankings though:
http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/63.211.105.54:27015/
http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/68.232.179.2:27015/

I don't think about us and contact are useless at all.

I agree the google ad is pointless this way. Siphex and Pneu are working on the banner. The spray contest did not have many contestants although i see a lot of people typing spray in chat ingame so a contest is not a good idea i think.

Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

http://www.pulpfortress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 13/7/2010, 15:07

allow me to explain why I made it this way...

-No Game Tracker Picture even though it matches our site
I had one on Pulp V1 and Eraserhead told me to get rid of it. A spot for it might me underneath the heavily abridged about us section.

Useless links on the side like Contact, and About us
The about us page is a extended version for the one on the main page. It tells more about our clan and gives info about joining etc. Contact is there because people don't want to spend +5 minutes searching for an e-mail.

Google Ad, can we have it across the bottom please, would look better.
True, this spot is indeed a bit unusual. ''i didn't designed the page to include these things and I received the code for a vertical banner from Eraser.

The center column should be filled with news or the stuff in the change log that jameless puts out
I used to maintain a news section but I didn't had a lot of news at all making the clan look dead. The forum is where the interactive stuff starts, not the website. I coul do this but it woul dmean writing a blog code (no way!) or use blogging software which would most likely affect the whole site (WordPress).

Our Banner, I believe it can be better, maybe have people make one like a contest?
Some of the more art-talented guys offered me to make a new banner; they never delivered. I have to admit it looks bad but I'm just not a person obsessed/talented enough with Photoshop to create delicious eyecandy.

The orange in the links should be the same as the orange background in the middle, or vise versa
Used to be this but that made the links VERY hard to read for most people hence I changed it.

In overall I am happy about the site, I did what I could and it turned out decent enough. Things I think about when making a site is what I need and do not need to include; making it as clean as possible. I simply dislike sites with flashy banners and useless eyecandy. Then again I am more of a MediaWiki person so that might explain why I'm more into giving information than into making it look good/mac-like.
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

http://www.epps.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 13/7/2010, 15:16

Sgt Pepper wrote:I did what I could

Why do i read this in the demoman's voice?
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

http://www.pulpfortress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 13/7/2010, 15:34

I don't know, I would read in the spy's voice...
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

http://www.epps.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down