Pulp Fortress forum archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!)

+8
vladmirbsl69
Torchic
Hoboapple
Young Greezy
Epps
Google
LieuTennet
wtfisaboolet1234
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!) Empty Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!)

Post by wtfisaboolet1234 9/7/2010, 13:33

Screenshots of offensive engy layout in action
1:
https://2img.net/h/oi31.tinypic.com/1o3tz9.jpg (solo victory) and yes i did take off
my お宅 skins for a bit to get some fps back. but dont worry they
shall return Very Happy

2:
https://2img.net/h/oi29.tinypic.com/4vprw7.jpg

3:
https://2img.net/h/oi29.tinypic.com/2yuzx49.jpg

Offensive

-Default shotgun
-Default Pistol
-Gunslinger

Defensive
-Default Shotgun
-Wrangler
-Default Wrench/The Southern Hospitality(If you have it, and depending on whether you're being hit by enemies)

Whats this? you have to put down your fancy scoped shotgun? this is madness an engineer might say?? well think again!

I experimented with all the combinations and FJ and the Wrangler is a terrible combination. if an enemy attacks you(and they WILL attack you) your only gun has 3 rounds in it, which is terrible and you will die pretty fast. And you're not guaranteed to be next to your sentry 24/7, and as described below Wrangler and The Gunslinger for the fast building sentry is also a no-no.

Strategies:

Offense:
For offensive you have the default pistol and shotgun. You will practically never score a kill with the mini scentree, so FJ is useless. The strat here is to whittle away enemys hp with your miniture sentry and score kills with the combined fire power of the sentry and shotgun. and just because your offensive doesnt mean you can't build teles and dispenser to help the team.

Build offensive sentrys where you want quick area denial in enemy territory. For example in ctf_2fort when running for the intel you can consider building a mini sentry in THEIR courtyard to have it covered and be a little "Warning" for oncoming enemies. If an enemy destroys it, you can bet that there is someone coming to the court yard, so it's best to take the other route!
Defense:
For defense your sentry is there to rack up kills, and well defend! The kills it racks up will help the FJ to kill enemy demos/spies easily which is the only real benefit of FJ. Only problem with FJ is the crit particles it makes which fucks up your fps.

I personally recommend switching out of wrangler, and letting the sentry autolock on, then once you find your opponent you can switch to wrangler and start shooting at them

FYI:
I STRONGLY recommend you DO NOT using Wrangler with Gunslinger. What are you gonna do? Wrangle a mini-sentry? technically a wrangled mini-sentry is the same as a normal level 1 sentry(mini-sentries do half damage, and Wrangler shoots the guns twice as fast). Its useless, and stoopid stoopid stoopid.

Last edited by wtfisaboolet1234 on 30/7/2010, 13:44; edited 15 times in total
wtfisaboolet1234
wtfisaboolet1234

Back to top Go down

Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!) Empty Re: Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!)

Post by LieuTennet 9/7/2010, 13:44

You obviously didn't see the lvl 3 mini sentries while we were farming.
LieuTennet
LieuTennet

Back to top Go down

Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!) Empty Re: Wtf's recommended Engie loadouts for newbs (Now with UPDATED screenies!)

Post by Google 9/7/2010, 13:45

But still give 7-9 dmg . Better with regular one because you can repair the sentry and does more dmg .
Google
Google
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 9/7/2010, 14:43

I prefer the other wrench actually, the bleed effect is awesome and as an engineer you are always with your dispenser so flames should not be an enemy, especially if you have a (skilled) Pyro buddy who actually knows how to compression blast.
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

http://www.epps.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Greezy 9/7/2010, 15:12

The southern hospitality is actually not that bad. The bleed effect is really useful for finding and getting spies. I often play on nocrit servers (like ours for example) so no random crits really doesn't hurt at all. The flame vulnerability, which seems to be the controversial topic around this weapon, really isn't THAT awful. If you're an engineer, you really shouldn't be up in the front fighting right with the pyros, even if you're an offensive engineer. If you're decent, you'll have a dispenser up and/or be camping around a metal and healthpack location, so it's really not a huge deal. And seriously, it's only 20%. I guarantee if Valve put this in without telling you guys, none of you would have even noticed.
Young Greezy
Young Greezy
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by wtfisaboolet1234 9/7/2010, 16:13

Young Greezy wrote:The southern hospitality is actually not that bad. The bleed effect is really useful for finding and getting spies. I often play on nocrit servers (like ours for example) so no random crits really doesn't hurt at all. The flame vulnerability, which seems to be the controversial topic around this weapon, really isn't THAT awful. If you're an engineer, you really shouldn't be up in the front fighting right with the pyros, even if you're an offensive engineer. If you're decent, you'll have a dispenser up and/or be camping around a metal and healthpack location, so it's really not a huge deal. And seriously, it's only 20%. I guarantee if Valve put this in without telling you guys, none of you would have even noticed.

I don't have it yet(crafted all my ambassatards) but when I get it, i'll tell ya how it goes... wanker.
wtfisaboolet1234
wtfisaboolet1234

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoboapple 9/7/2010, 17:45

This is really good advice boolet!
Hoboapple
Hoboapple

Back to top Go down

Post by Torchic 9/7/2010, 17:47

I hate only knowing about one of the engy weapons D:
Torchic
Torchic

Back to top Go down

Post by wtfisaboolet1234 9/7/2010, 18:05

Hoboapple wrote:This is really good advice boolet!

Is this sarcasm or no?

And torchick, what do you mean? do you only got one of the wep0ns? if yesl then lern to achievment server newb.
wtfisaboolet1234
wtfisaboolet1234

Back to top Go down

Post by Google 9/7/2010, 18:08

wtfisaboolet1234 wrote:

Is this sarcasm or no?

And torchick, what do you mean? do you only got one of the wep0ns? if yesl then lern to achievment server newb.
He's on vacation newb.
Google
Google
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by wtfisaboolet1234 9/7/2010, 18:10

Google wrote:
wtfisaboolet1234 wrote:

Is this sarcasm or no?

He's on vacation newb.

SHADDUP. and I edited a bit of the info and what to use for defensive or offensive. i played more offensive engy and found that FJ is terrible since your mini sentry NEVER scores a kill and most of your damage will come from mini sentry/shotgun ambushes.
wtfisaboolet1234
wtfisaboolet1234

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoboapple 9/7/2010, 20:56

It wasn't sarcastic. Except now that you edited it says

Defensive
-FJ
-Wrangler...FJ and the Wrangler is a terrible combination.
Hoboapple
Hoboapple

Back to top Go down

Post by Torchic 9/7/2010, 21:46

Could someone explain what each weapon does(besides the new shotgun)
Torchic
Torchic

Back to top Go down

Post by wtfisaboolet1234 9/7/2010, 21:52

Hoboapple wrote:It wasn't sarcastic. Except now that you edited it says

Defensive
-FJ
-Wrangler...FJ and the Wrangler is a terrible combination.

Well again it depends. If its a payload map and the enemy team is coming out of the enterence your sentry will probably get a few kills, allowing you to shotgun crit some people with FJ, then run away and rebuild. cause you're not gonna be fighting at all really.

ill edit it, i guess it depends on the situation though
wtfisaboolet1234
wtfisaboolet1234

Back to top Go down

Post by wtfisaboolet1234 9/7/2010, 21:56

Torchic wrote:Could someone explain what each weapon does(besides the new shotgun)

If you're able to access this site, you can access tf2 wiki...

These are the 4 new weapons he got(the southern hospitality is a community unlock)

http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Wrangler
http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Gunslinger
http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Frontier_Justice
http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Southern_Hospitality

As well as the ability to move buildings which is a huge bonus. the moved building will also retain its level as well.

youtube what it looks like if you wanna see it in action
wtfisaboolet1234
wtfisaboolet1234

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 9/7/2010, 21:58

Torchic wrote:Could someone explain what each weapon does(besides the new shotgun)
Frontier Justice (shotgun) - revange crits (1 for every person killed by sentry, 2 for destroyed buildings)
Wrangler (pistol replacement) - Allows you to control your sentry and adds a force field/shield to it.
Gunslinger (wrench replacement; scary mechanical arm) - Instead of regular sentry you can build build mini-sentries. Not upgradable, less damage but only 100 metal.
Southern Hospitality (wrench) - no crits, bleed but fire damages you more.
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

Back to top Go down

Post by vladmirbsl69 9/7/2010, 22:32

1. they patched the mini lvl2 and lvl3 sentries.
2.also i switch out reg shotty for fj only for defence
3.The southern hospitality pwns everyone. its got normal wrench damage with bleed effects that equal the shiv. also greezy is right about not being upfront against pyros
4. Sentry sniping is so much fun.
vladmirbsl69
vladmirbsl69

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Greezy 9/7/2010, 23:37

Frontier Justice: 3 shots rather than 6. Doesn't randomly crit. However, with any sentry kill you get, you receive 2 crits upon the destruction of the sentry. Assists give 1. Contrary to what peppers said, destructions actually give nothing.

Wrangler: Lets you control and aim your sentry with a little laser sight. Whenever you have it out, adds an energy shield around your sentry that absorbs 66% of incoming damage. Gives the sentry unlimited range, it's kind of OP right now but it's very easy to sneak up on engies using it and smoke them.

Gunslinger: Robotic hand that allows you to build mini sentries. They are way smaller, look a little different, and do less damage and have less range. They build in 1.5 seconds i believe. Also, the gunslinger adds 25 health to the total. Great for offensive engineering/ninjaneering.

Souther Hospitality: Already went over this earlier. Looks really good, adds 5 seconds of bleed, gives 20% fire vulnerability, no random crits.
Young Greezy
Young Greezy
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by vladmirbsl69 10/7/2010, 01:20

Young Greezy wrote:Frontier Justice: 3 shots rather than 6. Doesn't randomly crit. However, with any sentry kill you get, you receive 2 crits upon the destruction of the sentry. Assists give 1. Contrary to what peppers said, destructions actually give nothing.

Wrangler: Lets you control and aim your sentry with a little laser sight. Whenever you have it out, adds an energy shield around your sentry that absorbs 66% of incoming damage. Gives the sentry unlimited range, it's kind of OP right now but it's very easy to sneak up on engies using it and smoke them.

Gunslinger: Robotic hand that allows you to build mini sentries. They are way smaller, look a little different, and do less damage and have less range. They build in 1.5 seconds i believe. Also, the gunslinger adds 25 health to the total. Great for offensive engineering/ninjaneering.

Souther Hospitality: Already went over this earlier. Looks really good, adds 5 seconds of bleed, gives 20% fire vulnerability, no random crits.
it does random crit im pretty sure
vladmirbsl69
vladmirbsl69

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 10/7/2010, 02:57

Allow me to generate a random number in ranging from 1 to 4 so I know which weapon Vlad means...
3! No the Wrangler doesn't have crits, l2tf2

But seriously Greezy's post is the truth.
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 10/7/2010, 07:40

I have only played one hour to farm all the unlocks so i have no real battle experience with the new weapons. But i think the wrangler and FJ are the best. I remember often on orange i would just sit back and defend my stuff from spies using my wrench to slap them and my sentry gets destroyed occasionally by rockets or stickies. So in that case the FJ would be great to get some extra kills.

Big bonus from the wrangler that no one has mentioned is that you now have a much larger range, as far as you can see. The normal automated sentry starts shooting when someone comes within the range of the sentry but with the wrangler you can shoot rockets with right mouse and normal boolets with leftmouse over a large distance. Also you can rocketjump with it lol.

And i also used the wrangler to shoot cloaked spies if you have an idea where they are. Just spam bullets in a vague direction of where you think a cloaked spy is.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

http://www.pulpfortress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vladmirbsl69 10/7/2010, 10:34

sorry i meant the southern hospitality. it was like 1 am when i posted that lol.
EDIT: greezy was right.
vladmirbsl69
vladmirbsl69

Back to top Go down

Post by Cake 10/7/2010, 10:45

Well, I use the wrangler, gunslinger AND the frontier justice. I was pretty badass when I was playing 6 vs. 6 with a k/d of 12 as a battle engi. The wrangler reduces 66% dmg the sentry receives, this makes the mini sentry stronger.
The mini sentry builds itself up very quickly. Build it before you go into battle, pick it up and then deploy it in a distance against your enemies and shoot them with your wrangler. The mini sentry unfolds in about 1.5 sec I guess and that makes it a great weapon to run around with. Pick it up, deploy, shoot, repeat. As long as you keep your distance, you'll be fine.

Another thing, lots of people will try to take you down first when you're using the wrangler. Standing in the distance with 150hp (gunslinger) helps a lot. Soldiers will try to bomb your minisentry, but they will have to shoot 2 or 3 times with their rocket launcher when you're using your wrangler to destroy the sentry.

The great thing is that when you've kept your distance and your sentry has been destroyed, you can run around a corner, build another minisentry very quickly (100metal) pick it up, run back, deploy and do it again. When you don't have any metal left AND when your sentry has been destroyed, you already must have killed some guys, giving you at least 3 or 4 crit shots with your frontier justice.
Run somewhere safe with it, gather metal, shoot anyone who gets too close (they will die if you hit them twice), build your minisentry, repeat....

Sorry if this was a bit unclear for some of you guys, I wanted to finish this post quickly.
Cake
Cake
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by wtfisaboolet1234 10/7/2010, 12:02

Cake wrote:Well, I use the wrangler, gunslinger AND the frontier justice. I was pretty badass when I was playing 6 vs. 6 with a k/d of 12 as a battle engi. The wrangler reduces 66% dmg the sentry receives, this makes the mini sentry stronger.
The mini sentry builds itself up very quickly. Build it before you go into battle, pick it up and then deploy it in a distance against your enemies and shoot them with your wrangler. The mini sentry unfolds in about 1.5 sec I guess and that makes it a great weapon to run around with. Pick it up, deploy, shoot, repeat. As long as you keep your distance, you'll be fine.

Another thing, lots of people will try to take you down first when you're using the wrangler. Standing in the distance with 150hp (gunslinger) helps a lot. Soldiers will try to bomb your minisentry, but they will have to shoot 2 or 3 times with their rocket launcher when you're using your wrangler to destroy the sentry.

The great thing is that when you've kept your distance and your sentry has been destroyed, you can run around a corner, build another minisentry very quickly (100metal) pick it up, run back, deploy and do it again. When you don't have any metal left AND when your sentry has been destroyed, you already must have killed some guys, giving you at least 3 or 4 crit shots with your frontier justice.
Run somewhere safe with it, gather metal, shoot anyone who gets too close (they will die if you hit them twice), build your minisentry, repeat....

Sorry if this was a bit unclear for some of you guys, I wanted to finish this post quickly.
Interesting

after thinking about it now and reading your post, ill try some experimenting with wrangler and gunslinger and maybe edit my original post.

my opinion on FJ still stands though. 3 round shotgun is lame.
wtfisaboolet1234
wtfisaboolet1234

Back to top Go down

Post by Cake 10/7/2010, 12:29

Well, the FJ is pretty awesome because I generally don't need to use my regular shotgun. The mini sentry builds itself up so fast that I almost never use my shotgun. Exceptions are when the sentry is destroyed of course, but you must've made at least 1 kill with your sentry giving you 2 crits.
Cake
Cake
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next