Pulp Fortress forum archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?

+6
LieuTennet
Afro
Epps
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
ninji
Google
10 posters

Go down

Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg? Empty Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?

Post by Google 19/7/2010, 16:11

Chickens hatch from eggs, but eggs are laid by chickens, making it
difficult to say which originally gave rise to the other. To ancient
philosophers, the question about the first chicken or egg also evoked
the questions of how life and the universe in general began.

Like I said above the chicken emerges from the egg, and the egg is laid
by the chicken, so it appears to be an ambiguous and circular question
with no possible solution. However there might just be an answer...

hat do you think come first, the chicken or the egg?

Give us a full explanation on what come first, remember it's a debate; give us your best shot!
Google
Google
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg? Empty Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?

Post by ninji 19/7/2010, 16:20

Without chicken, egg would die from the cold, making it impossible for the egg to come first.
ninji
ninji
Clan Member
Clan Member

http://www.tf2items.com/id/ijnin

Back to top Go down

Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg? Empty Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?

Post by LOOK IT'S ADAM!!! 19/7/2010, 16:32

The egg does not need a chicken to keep it warm, reptiles lay eggs, the platypus lays eggs, but the chicken needs the egg to spawn from.

the egg came first.
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 19/7/2010, 16:40

Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

http://www.epps.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by LOOK IT'S ADAM!!! 19/7/2010, 16:43

that just means the chicken came before the chicken egg, i was thinking in a more general sense.
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 19/7/2010, 16:48

Well obviously it means the Chicken was there before the Egg...
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro 19/7/2010, 17:30

The chicken came first.. It evolved from a pterodactyl
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by LOOK IT'S ADAM!!! 19/7/2010, 17:33

but did not pterodactyls lay eggs as well?
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by LieuTennet 19/7/2010, 17:37

This is really just a question of mostly your religious beliefs.

I believe in Creation so I believe the chicken came first.
LieuTennet
LieuTennet

Back to top Go down

Post by LOOK IT'S ADAM!!! 19/7/2010, 17:44

for the sake of this debate let's keep it secular. it's not much of a debate if everything can be answered by "<insert deity> did it".
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by LieuTennet 19/7/2010, 17:45

This seemed more like an opinion thread to me, I understand most debates are secular so after this I'm staying out.
LieuTennet
LieuTennet

Back to top Go down

Post by LOOK IT'S ADAM!!! 19/7/2010, 17:48

nah, it's not that. none of us have the qualifications to make any definitive statements about the subject, so this is purely a mental workout. that's why i debate, not to convince others of my point of view, but to come across new ways of thinking of things.

this is why the generic religious answer doesn't really help much. it's a "this is the way it is" statement without room for negotiation or critical analysis. analyzing religious texts? sure, i'd be up for that as long as everyone realizes that their opinion is just as valid as everyone else's until proven otherwise.

anyways, back on topic:
i think some definitions are needed, like what is an "egg" in relation to the chicken. is it the object a chicken is born from? or is it the object that a chicken creates to reproduce?
the same with "chicken". is it the creature that comes out of a chicken egg? or is it the creature that produces chicken eggs?
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 19/7/2010, 23:00

Xen aliens did it! Now back to being serious for a bit...

Ask someone to define a chicken and an egg and most people would say this:
Chicken; damn tasty bird that lays eggs.
Egg; hard shelled cover for an unborn chick/tasty snack.
So when you look at it like this none came first. However when we down evolution road and look at the pre-chicken I'm pretty sure that it used to give birth to fully living chicks instead of laying eggs. This however brings a new problem; Egg cells are still eggs and needed for traditional reproduction so the pre-chicken still has eggs!

Now things get complicated, how do you reproduce without sharing genetic material? By using your own (cloning). Problem is that DNA and RNA can only be splitted so many times before breaking (we call this aging). Not only that but clones can hardly adapt to the world around them. Seeing how the habitat and world changes around the clock this would mean a certain doom to the chicken giving it a reason for traditional reproduction. Still, this would mean a pre-chicken came before the egg.

Anyway, it is hard to say what came first when you look at it like this. We only know so much about this world because of those damned Midde Ages where science came to a near full stop due to religions calling it blasphemy. However what we do know today is that during a certain era there was a lack of a protein needed to create the hard shelled egg.
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

Back to top Go down

Post by LOOK IT'S ADAM!!! 19/7/2010, 23:43

ok, i feel bad now, i have to move onto hard science instead of abstract logic.

Sgt Pepper wrote:
So when you look at it like this none came first. However when we down evolution road and look at the pre-chicken I'm pretty sure that it used to give birth to fully living chicks instead of laying eggs. This however brings a new problem; Egg cells are still eggs and needed for traditional reproduction so the pre-chicken still has eggs!
but a "pre-chicken" is not a chicken. and if i am not mistaken, the fossil record shows that there were eggs long before anything that looked like a chicken. even if the eggs did not contain chickens, they were still eggs.

Now things get complicated, how do you reproduce without sharing genetic material? By using your own (cloning).
i think you mean budding

Problem is that DNA and RNA can only be splitted so many times before breaking (we call this aging). Not only that but clones can hardly adapt to the world around them. Seeing how the habitat and world changes around the clock this would mean a certain doom to the chicken giving it a reason for traditional reproduction. Still, this would mean a pre-chicken came before the egg.
it seems to me you have not taken a biology class recently, you might want to look up mitosis again.

Anyway, it is hard to say what came first when you look at it like this. We only know so much about this world because of those damned Midde Ages where science came to a near full stop due to religions calling it blasphemy. However what we do know today is that during a certain era there was a lack of a protein needed to create the hard shelled egg.
again, fossil record
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 20/7/2010, 11:00

Yeah sorry, it has been over a year since my last Biology class which is a shame, I really liked Biology.
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick 20/7/2010, 12:41

Eggs just don't spawn out of the blue, something has to lay it.
Nick
Nick
Clan Recruiter
Clan Recruiter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesie|UKCS| 20/7/2010, 12:45

I know what came first....

Day of Defeat: Source!

Jonesie|UKCS|
I am banned, sad face! Unban me! I don't deserve it !

Back to top Go down

Post by ninji 20/7/2010, 13:56

Jonesie wrote:I know what came first....

Day of Defeat: Source!
Day of Defeat 1.0 came out first, then 1.1, 1.2, and finally 1.3. Source came out a bit after that, and finally Day of Defeat: Orange Box (it's still called Source, but you get it) went official.

You are sorely incorrect, Jonesie >:P
ninji
ninji
Clan Member
Clan Member

http://www.tf2items.com/id/ijnin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesie|UKCS| 20/7/2010, 14:49

I know, Ninji. I did that on purpose. I just stopped playing DOD:S

Jonesie|UKCS|

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 21/7/2010, 12:34

I wonder what a chicken looked like before it became the way it is today and why it evolved into laying eggs while it did not before.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

http://www.pulpfortress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LOOK IT'S ADAM!!! 21/7/2010, 13:24

most likely this:
Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg? Velociraptor_mongoliensis_ms

and i'm pretty sure the ancestors of the chicken were laying eggs long before the chicken existed.
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesie|UKCS| 21/7/2010, 13:33

Is that a Velocyraptor?

Jonesie|UKCS|

Back to top Go down

Post by LOOK IT'S ADAM!!! 21/7/2010, 13:35

similar, yes.
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesie|UKCS| 21/7/2010, 13:38

Thank god it wasn't a Tyrannosaurus Rex!

Jonesie|UKCS|

Back to top Go down

Post by jameless 21/7/2010, 13:49

Eraserhead wrote:I wonder what a chicken looked like before it became the way it is today and why it evolved into laying eggs while it did not before.

This quote reminded me of all the times I sat around getting intoxicated with my friends. We always asked each other questions like this. Laughing
jameless
jameless
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum