Pulp Fortress forum archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Books?

+10
LieuTennet
jameless
Hoboapple
Nick
Grunge Lobster
+Moo!
Epps
Afro
Young Greezy
dumbasscus
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Books? Empty Books?

Post by dumbasscus 8/8/2010, 02:46

I'm not seeing a lot of books in the forums, though I'm sure you guys are reading plenty besides comics (not saying that they're bad though) right? Everyone knows that people who play video games only read comics. Just kidding- but seriously. I want to recommend a book to everyone. It's called "The Name of the Wind". It sounds pretty cheesy, but it actually sort of parodies the fantasy genre while being serious and maybe even depressing at the same time. I was also thinking about reading "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". Anyone got any recommendations?
dumbasscus
dumbasscus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Books? Empty Re: Books?

Post by Young Greezy 8/8/2010, 03:03

Two classics: Fahrenheit 451, 1984. That is all.
Young Greezy
Young Greezy
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro 8/8/2010, 03:32

And then there were none.
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 8/8/2010, 03:43

Serious books:
HG Wells - War of the Worlds; humankind gets invaded, nearly destroyed, people in absolute despair. Love it!
James Joyce - Ulysses; Dystopian novel, not read it yet but it is a classic.
Gibson - Neuromancer; THE cyberpunk novel. Loved the Matrix? You're gonna love this. Warning, can be confusing to some.
Huxley - Brave New World; Dystopian classic which you probably have read in High School during English lessons.
Orwell - 1984, also a Dystopian classic. Again probably read in High School like me.
Burgess - A Clockwork Orange*, classic semi-dystopian book about some gangs, a new psycho treatment to make people good. Great movie as well.

Comedy:
Adams - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series; classic comedy on which the BBC series and movie were inspired.
Hugh Laurie - The Gun Seller; own it but haven't read it yet. Supposed to be a good book tho, besides it's by the great Hugh Laurie written with help from the great Stephen Fry.

Comics:
Jhonen Vasquez' - Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, Squee, I Feel Sick and Jellyfist; Awesome sick twisted comics! High reread valueability as well!
Roman Dirge - Lenore, the Cute Little Dead Girl; another awesome twisted comic.

Manga
Rikdo Koshi - Excel Saga; political/adult satire at it's best. Also, batfuck insane and slightly perverted from volume 8 onwards.
Koji Kumeta - Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei; another political/adult/life satire. GREAT work imo.
Kendi Oiwa/Tatsuhiko Takimoto/Yoshitoshi ABe - Welcome to the N.H.K.; One of the best recent manga's (and アニメ) series. Story is about a 21 year ld hikikomori neet (aka person who never leaves his house/room and leaches of his parents)

Anyway as you can see my taste is mostly dystopian novels. I dislike humans in general so reading books about us going extinct or living in a free will-less world makes me happy. Comics kinda the same, bit gory and fileld with jokes which go too far.

*Friend of mine always brags about how much classic movies she has seen so I began asking her about A Clockwork Orange which is a classic novel with a classic movie. She didn't knew about it. Worst part; I asked her about it IN A MOVIE MERCHENDISE STORE! The shop owner inmediatly bean talking about the movie and the book with me and she just stood there going all 'okay...' on us. That's what you get for claiming Burton and Tarentino movies the only classics in the world. In fact Tarentino hasn't made that many good movies lately imo :/
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

http://www.epps.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by +Moo! 8/8/2010, 03:58

dumbasscus wrote: I was also thinking about reading "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". Anyone got any recommendations?

I saw the movie based on "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" I doubt it's the same but I liked it nevertheless; My guilty pleasure is reading some of the Dark Age Mechwarrior novels, I always enjoy little individual stories filled with epic battle with mechs weighing in over 80+ tonnes, beams of pure energy digging, burning and melting tonnes of armor in multicolored displays of power as missiles tear overhead in salvos of 40+ with explosive results (See video)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Oh and I've finished the No Bra Manga lately ...Loved it
+Moo!
+Moo!

Back to top Go down

Post by Grunge Lobster 8/8/2010, 06:11

Kurt Vonnegut - Sirens of Titan

Kurt Vonnegut - Breakfast of Champions

Kurt Vonnegut - Anything else by him since they are all master pieces (though Sirens of Titan is his best)

If you've seen the terrible movie Breakfast of Champions which was based off of it (Starring Bruce Willis) don't let that be a deterrent, they're almost entirely different.
Grunge Lobster
Grunge Lobster

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick 8/8/2010, 10:14

Keys to the Kingdom serries by Garth Nix, or anything else Nix writes is good
Nick
Nick
Clan Recruiter
Clan Recruiter

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoboapple 8/8/2010, 10:14

I just finished Lord of the Flies, fantastic book.
Hoboapple
Hoboapple

Back to top Go down

Post by jameless 8/8/2010, 11:15

I liked Freakonomics quite a lot.
jameless
jameless
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LieuTennet 8/8/2010, 11:32

Hoboapple wrote:I just finished Lord of the Flies, fantastic book.
I hated that book, now Lord of the RINGS now thats a good series ;P
LieuTennet
LieuTennet

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoboapple 8/8/2010, 12:15

Why did you hate it? I mean it's not the greatest book but it's still good.
Hoboapple
Hoboapple

Back to top Go down

Post by LieuTennet 8/8/2010, 12:21

I just found it boring. Some of my other favorite books are The Great Gastby, Fallen Angels, The Unwanted, The Life of Pi, and The Kite Runner.
LieuTennet
LieuTennet

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick 8/8/2010, 12:31

Great Gastby is really good have you tried Jake Reinvented?
Nick
Nick
Clan Recruiter
Clan Recruiter

Back to top Go down

Post by LieuTennet 8/8/2010, 13:08

Naw, those are all books I had to read for English. I wrote soooo many essays about the Great Gastby
LieuTennet
LieuTennet

Back to top Go down

Post by FUBAR 8/8/2010, 13:50

Charles Bukowski :
- Women
- Post Office
- Erections , ejaculations , exhibitions , and general tales of ordinary madness
- Factotum
- Hollywood

Hunter S. Thompson :
- Hells Angels
- The gonzo papers
- Kingdom of fear

William Faulkner :
- Light in August
- As i lay dying

Jan Wolkers :
- Kort Amerikaans ( short american )
- Turks Fruit ( Turkish delight )
FUBAR
FUBAR
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

http://www.pulpfortress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by vladmirbsl69 8/8/2010, 14:16

:O dumbasscuss i read the name of the wind when it came out. the sequel is coming out sometime in the next year Very Happy !
vladmirbsl69
vladmirbsl69

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Greezy 8/8/2010, 14:26

You guys read cool books in english. Other than life of Pi, all of our books have been shitty. Romeo and Juliet, Twelfth Night, Macbeth, Hamlet, To kill a mockingbird, Catcher in the Rye (actually that one is alright), heart of darkness, and some others.
Young Greezy
Young Greezy
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by LieuTennet 8/8/2010, 14:30

I read Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, Hamlet, To Kill a Mockingbird (which i liked), Cather in the Rye I read when i dropped out of advanced english last semester of high school. We read this King Arthur book in 10th grade it was awesome. Pretty much it was like this guy fights this guy then beheads him. This guy is dead oh wait now hes alive and killing some other guy. It was pretty beast.

edit: I lied I sparknoted Hamlet I hated it so much.

oh, anyone read Crime and Punishment?
LieuTennet
LieuTennet

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick 8/8/2010, 14:42

LieuTennet wrote:oh, anyone read Crime and Punishment?

gotta read that for summer reading...better get started
Nick
Nick
Clan Recruiter
Clan Recruiter

Back to top Go down

Post by LieuTennet 8/8/2010, 14:49

That SUCKS we read it in like 3 weeks for class...omfg I hate the length but it was a good book, the length made it seem like it was slow. Have fun!
LieuTennet
LieuTennet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Zurkov 8/8/2010, 16:43

Just recently I read the first omnibus of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. It was pretty good, but if anyone decides to read it DON'T READ IT ALL AT ONCE. The books are clearly not designed to be read one after another. I advise giving at least a few weeks in-between each book.

Ender's Game, and pretty much anything else by Orson Scott Card. The entire Ender series is good, and the Shadow series puts an interesting spin on the Ender series.

I also second the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Sgt Pepper wrote:HG Wells - War of the Worlds; humankind gets invaded, nearly destroyed, people in absolute despair. Love it!
I read that, but it's not one of my favorites. They story was good, the descriptions were vivid, the ending was... anticlimactic... but it was just so slow. I personally think anything written more than a century ago is automatically slower than books people write nowadays. Which makes sense, because now books have to compete with other forms of media, whereas back then it only really competed with theatre.
Lord Zurkov
Lord Zurkov
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 8/8/2010, 17:23

True WotW is a bit slow and over-detailed and yes the ending just was meh, but don't forget it was written WAY back in 1898 in which such details were rare/unknown. Besides, the story featured idea's that weren't around back then yet plausible.
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

http://www.epps.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by dumbasscus 8/8/2010, 18:59

Light in August was about a guy named Jesus who liked to beat women. The end. That book sucked.
dumbasscus
dumbasscus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoboapple 8/8/2010, 20:26

The Bible

SPOILER:jesusdies
Hoboapple
Hoboapple

Back to top Go down

Post by dumbasscus 9/8/2010, 02:21

No, seriously, I read Light in August. No joke, it's really about a guy who is compared to Jesus, but he really likes beating women.
dumbasscus
dumbasscus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum