Pulp Fortress forum archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thanks for standing still wanker! (sniper tactics)

+8
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
Firestar
Lord Zurkov
Nicobbq
DrManette
Eraserhead
Furgus
Epps
12 posters

Go down

Thanks for standing still wanker! (sniper tactics) Empty Thanks for standing still wanker! (sniper tactics)

Post by Epps 9/12/2009, 21:36

Now, I'm not the best sniper in the clan (got my good days though) but one thing I always try to do is to keep walking around!
This is something I've been doing ever since SOF2 (Soldiers of Fortune 2) and proves to be a good thing. If you camp a certain point (like the 2nd control point) people will know where you are, counter sniping you gets real easy and basicly, you will get killed a lot.
Another thing is not to have your scope out all the time. If there are snipers, there are spies and spies love to kill you (I know since I like to play spy). A sudden backstab or two headshots in a row and you're finished, all because you couldn't watch your back.
There are a lot of players, mostly new to sniping, who keep up their scope and camp the same place over and over. Wait for sniper, uncloak, kill, cloak, repeat. Not the best way of playing sniper is getting killed all the time.
Ow well, as for close combat, when players get to close, I use the SMG or try to melee them to death. Ow, when I know there's a spy, I trow my piss, start hitting thin air or just ask for a spycheck from my friendly neighbourhood pyro.

Anyway, that rounds up my tactics. I;m sure Gibbo could teach us a few good lessons (like buy a good mouse) Razz
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

http://www.epps.nl

Back to top Go down

Thanks for standing still wanker! (sniper tactics) Empty Re: Thanks for standing still wanker! (sniper tactics)

Post by Furgus 9/12/2009, 21:43

I kinda do the same thing except itry to hide in little corners but the screenshot at the end of a kill always gives my spot away.
Furgus
Furgus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Thanks for standing still wanker! (sniper tactics) Empty Re: Thanks for standing still wanker! (sniper tactics)

Post by Eraserhead 11/12/2009, 09:33

Another tip when you are in a sniper vs sniper situation is to watch when the other sniper is zooming in and then jump so it's harder for him to hit you. Moving around is the most important sniper tactic, even in real life.

This is demonstrated in the film Enemy at the Gates

I'm very keen to know what Gibbo can teach us Suspect
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

http://www.pulpfortress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DrManette 16/2/2010, 12:35

The "swipe" tecnique can be very useful, where you sorta move across someone and shoot. I know that's a poor explanation but I often get head shots out of the air by doing this (I bet you've all been shot out of the sky at some point... I'm looking at you Scouts...).

And always move.
DrManette
DrManette

http://www.biofoxgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicobbq 16/2/2010, 14:25

How to play the sniper
Guide by : Nicobbq
-------------------------
-Don't ever fight like a man, it's easier to stay back.
-Shoot 2 people that are fighting together, I mean, it's not like they can see you.
-You are a pro since your KD is always good.
-Who cares about spies, anyway, you're killing 8 people while he kills only 1 (you)
-Tell everyone how pro you are since you are the first of the team.
-Screw melee fights, it's better to run and ask for help.
-Be a cinnamon boy.
Nicobbq
Nicobbq
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Zurkov 16/2/2010, 23:38

Nicobbq wrote:How to play the Sniper
Guide by : Nicobbq
-------------------------
-Don't ever fight like a man, it's easier to stay back.
-Shoot 2 people that are fighting together, I mean, it's not like they can see you.
-You are a pro since your KD is always good.
-Who cares about spies, anyway, you're killing 8 people while he kills only 1 (you)
-Tell everyone how pro you are since you are the first of the team.
-Screw melee fights, it's better to run and ask for help.
-Be a cinnamon boy.
-Go out of your way to shoot people who are taunting or screwing around.
-Bodyshots are just as good as headshots. Kill people however is easiest.
-Never use the Huntsman. EVER.
-If anyone ever starts to rage at you, it's because they're jealous.
-Be a jackass whenever possible; a raging enemy is a beaten enemy.
[/troll]
Lord Zurkov
Lord Zurkov
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 17/2/2010, 08:34

Anyway i still think sniping can be fun, especially snipervssniper. But some players are just to good at it and ruin the game for others. But that's what happens in real wars too! A team can be pinned down by a sniper, just watch saving private Ryan or Full Metal Jacket.

Also remember that a sniper is very weak at close range and does have to make more efforts to get a high ranking because he only gets 1 point per kill.

If you are bothered by snipers you just have to rearrange your team so you can deal with them and keep pushing. Btw last night i saw Gibbo extinguishing his teammates as a sniper so he was credit to team!

Over time an experienced player will learn how to avoid snipers on orange though. But i must say that i played on the orange server the last week a couple of times and it was such great fun without sniper!! I was on red team and blu was pushing on our last point that we had to defend. Red soldiers and heavies kept rushing in and i could hold them off as a demo without getting headshotted. It was such fun. But on some moments snipers are ok. They are a good measure against heavy/medic combo's.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Firestar 17/2/2010, 16:24

Lord Zurkov wrote:
-Never use the Huntsman. EVER.

lolwut? The Funtsman is the best.
Firestar
Firestar

Back to top Go down

Post by LOOK IT'S ADAM!!! 17/2/2010, 16:50

i agree, it's fun to reflect.
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
LOOK IT'S ADAM!!!
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Firestar 17/2/2010, 16:56

Yar...
Firestar
Firestar

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Zurkov 17/2/2010, 17:09

Firestar wrote:
Lord Zurkov wrote:-Never use the Huntsman. EVER.
lolwut? The Funtsman is the best.
Sadly enough, that was a list of things I think Snipers should never do (including Nico's post). I find it depressing that you thought I was 4SRS even with the [/troll] tag.
They probably would make you a better Sniper... it would also make you a better jackass, though.
Lord Zurkov
Lord Zurkov
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SNghost 3/5/2010, 19:08

one thing that i like to do is puting my cross hair close to their head (i mean near head level the just move left right)*tip never move the mouse when doing this cause you have a higher chance of geting shot and missing*
SNghost
SNghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cake 6/5/2010, 17:41

My tactic is to almost always keep moving. I walk whilst scoping if the enemy I'm aiming for is trying to kill me. Sometimes I duck unpredictably to avoid being headblasted and just to plainly annoy other snipers. Basically I do the same with the ambassador, move and shoot. Never stand still unless you hear FOOTSTEPS and you know there are no teammates around you.
FOOTSTEPS are so friggin IMPORTANT that if you do without them, you WON'T get that extra +0.5 k/d just because of spies or other enemies shootin in your back. It's exactly the same with all other classes, footsteps are so important, you'll do much better if you can hear where the enemies come from.

Anyway, yer chop chop chopping chopper has about the highest crit rate of all melee weapons.
So if you know a spy is running towards you to shish-kebab your back, just let him come closer, act as if you don't notice, and BAM!%#$ The spy got some good ol' chop chop. Show that you are better at making exotic food, you've slept in a buffalo tougher than him!

Practice on headshots a lot. You should be able to scope and shoot in at least 0.5 sec if you want to get really good. I can't (yet) but I'm getting closer. You will be even awesomer when you can snipe close range, but that just takes a lot practice... Don't worry, you're not the only one. You're the awesomest when you can handle double jumping scouts and raping 4 guys who are surrounding you. But nobody is that far I guess?
Cake
Cake
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Zurkov 6/5/2010, 23:21

Cake wrote:Anyway, yer chop chop chopping chopper has about the highest crit rate of all melee weapons.
All melee weapons have a 15% random crit rate (unless otherwise noted), and all other weapons have a 5% random crit rate (unless otherwise noted).
Lord Zurkov
Lord Zurkov
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ninji 7/5/2010, 01:08

Pepper, Sniper is my main class, and there are few of things I have to add.

Options>Multiplayer
- Set your crosshair so you can no scope with guessing
>Advanced
- Turn off auto-zoom after zoomed in shot

When facing other snipers, you should never ever stop moving, do not zoom in until the opposing sniper has done so. Then you stop, aim, and fire. I have come to realise that if you zoom first against a moderately skilled Sniper, you will die.

When attempting upon a moving target, you must place your sight roughly 3-5 feet in front of it, and wait for its head to make its way onto your laser. Trailing, leading, following, or finding your targets head almost always fails.

Scouts are a lot easier to hit then you think! Take risky shots, if you are within their range, you are going to die anyway, and if they are far off, what have you to lose but a moment of your time. And if you pull it off, which happens more frequantly then you might guess, you look like a total pro.

A thing you will see me commonly do is, after firing at anything, particularly snipers, I crouch to avoid any incoming damage. I can't tell you how many times this has saved my ass.

Hide your laser! Every 2fort server I see consists of pubbers who will put their laser right where enemies file out from, well here is the thing: not only are you zooming in before you even have a target, you are revealing to your enemy that you even exist in the first place. So, hide your laser!

And as far as those gay ass snipers who stand still, fuck you, you make the Sniper seem like a noob class.*

*See Nicobbq's post above this.
ninji
ninji
Clan Member
Clan Member

http://www.tf2items.com/id/ijnin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cake 7/5/2010, 03:23

I always thought the chop chop had the highest crit rate, because I almost always get a crit swing (1/3 times). As for the other melee weapons (except with the saws) , I don't get many crits. Maybe I'm just SOL. Sorry if I confused anyone.
Cake
Cake
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 7/5/2010, 08:55

Yes i remember that waiting for a target to walk into your sight is a good way to aim. What other aiming tips can you guys give us? Cake, Ninji, Gibbo?

I also heard a low mouse sensitivity is helpful with sniper. Cake how do you get so many headshots with the Ambassador? Is it more accurate when standing still?
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cake 7/5/2010, 10:51

It isn't more accurate when standing still. I give jumpshots (walk + Jump + M1 Razz) all the time. I only stand still when I'm not seen to make it a bit easier for me to aim. I've got a quite sensitive mouse atm (2000dpi) and I'm using a sensitivity of 1.35 for the scout. I don't change my sensitivity when I go sniper or spy, but I advise to lower your sensitivity a little bit.
I don't like slow turning, that's why I try to keep my snstvty high.

The way how I make so many headshots with the ambassador?
1. I changed my crosshair to a red small cross to make it better visible on long range.
2. ''Lead'' your crosshair towards the direction your enemy is walking to and try to slowly slide it back to their head. This might sound vague, but if you get the hang of it you'll understand what I try to say. Eventually, you'll be so experienced with it that you do it instinctively and you won't need to really think about it. You won't even notice anymore that you do it. The same tactic can be used with the sniper but zoom in, this is called quickscoping.
Thanks for standing still wanker! (sniper tactics) Dsc00313 I took these pictures with my mobile phone and it doesnt look too well... but it's just to give you an idea. Maybe spectating is a better idea.

3. Another way is to do ''flickshots''. Swipe your mouse from left to right (or vice versa) and shoot whenever the crosshair goes over your enemy. This is also hard to explain but try to swipe in a straight line. If you're on a higher altitude than your enemy you have to swipe diagonally if he runs towards you. I know this sounds really vague, but try to draw it on a piece of paper and imagine.
Thanks for standing still wanker! (sniper tactics) Dsc00311
Thanks for standing still wanker! (sniper tactics) Dsc00312
The + = crosshair.

3. Play lots of counter-strike, pro's do headshots for quick kills.
4. Practice. Some people are good at it, some are not. You can't get past a certain point of experience. I'm not so good at quickzooming, in fact I'm still struggling with it on TF2. The reason why I play more as a spy rather than a sniper is because of the headshots and walking speed combined. I don't do much backstabbing and I only use the dead ringer to reduce damage taken.

5. For long range ''sniping'' with the ambassador, a lower sensitivity is better indeed. But it depends on the situation as I always say. If there are a lot enemies nearby, I play with a higher sensitivity to respond quickly to them. Otherwise, I don't recommend using a low sensitivity because scouts will annoy you a lot, and if you want to use your god given pocket toy which can even kill gods if you backstab them, you'll have to be able to turn around very quick.

That's my opinion regarding sensitivity but you should first try out different sensitivities yourself and if you can't find your own good tactic to headshot, try guides like this one. Maybe it'll inspire you to progress to something even better.
Cake
Cake
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Zurkov 7/5/2010, 11:12

ninji wrote:A thing you will see me commonly do is, after firing at anything, particularly snipers, I crouch to avoid any incoming damage. I can't tell you how many times this has saved my ass.
Never do this against Huntsman Snipers unless it would put you completely behind cover.
Lord Zurkov
Lord Zurkov
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 7/5/2010, 11:24

Thanks Cake, good tutorial. I remember flickshots when i was at a real shooting range once. First aim vertical and then horizontal, flicking from left to right and vice versa.

My mouse can vary from 500-4000 dpi with a little button that's on top near the scroll wheel, see here: http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.169417500/parentCategoryID.35208800/categoryId.35210500

So, i'm trying to find a good game sensitivity that allows me to use those buttons to switch during the game when i accidentally play sniper or spy so i can click and get a good sens and click back to get a higher sens when playing soldier.

I use a green crosshair, which is a very useful improvement. I will tryout red and make it smaller. Ninji, what do you mean by this: Set your crosshair so you can no scope with guessing.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gibbo 7/5/2010, 13:53

Cake and Ninja have pretty much covered it.the only thing i can think to add is use the whole map,if you stand in the same area all the time scouts are more likely to rush you,makes you an easy target for spys and it makes counter sniping for the other sniper more difficult
gibbo
gibbo
Acting Game Admin
Acting Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down