Pulp Fortress forum archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best way of contacting members

+4
Young Greezy
Epps
ninji
Eraserhead
8 posters

Go down

What is the best way for us to contact you?

Best way of contacting members I_vote_lcap18%Best way of contacting members I_vote_rcap 18% 
[ 4 ]
Best way of contacting members I_vote_lcap0%Best way of contacting members I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Best way of contacting members I_vote_lcap59%Best way of contacting members I_vote_rcap 59% 
[ 13 ]
Best way of contacting members I_vote_lcap0%Best way of contacting members I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Best way of contacting members I_vote_lcap23%Best way of contacting members I_vote_rcap 23% 
[ 5 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 22

Best way of contacting members Empty Best way of contacting members

Post by Eraserhead 18/4/2010, 11:32

Everytime i organize a pug i am amazed how hard it is to contact people. Some don't read the forums and some don't even read e-mail. Some even register on the forum with a fake e-mail address so messages will never get to them. Steam events only display when you are online. Some don't even respond when sending them a steamchat, maybe because they are busy playing or some of them show online while they aren't.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to improve this?

Last edited by Eraserhead on 7/5/2010, 07:44; edited 1 time in total
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

http://www.pulpfortress.com

Back to top Go down

Best way of contacting members Empty Re: Best way of contacting members

Post by ninji 18/4/2010, 13:54

I have roughly 7 email addresses for various purposes. 1 solely for spam, 1 for legitamate emails and school, 3 for signing up for forums and other sites, and 2 others I use for anything else. All of them I check regularly and all of them are used thoroughly for the purpose they are assigned. However, I have essentially decommisioned the email I use for PULP because it spams the living shit out of it. I go to my spam folder, 100% of all 200 messages are from PULP, where in my mail folder, 25% of the 1200 or so are PULP messages. All of which are replies to threads, and such. I am not sure how to turn this off, though I am sure there is a way; but the thing is, I am not certain I want to be receiving info about PULP via email anyway. I am on Steam damn near 24/7, and I frequant this forum enough to know exactly what I need to.

As far as contacting me, it is straight forward. But if you are having problems getting to other people, I recommend making the setting for emailing a user when a topic is replied to as off by default, where admin messages and other important things would be on by default.
ninji
ninji
Clan Member
Clan Member

http://www.tf2items.com/id/ijnin

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 18/4/2010, 14:11

It depends on why you need to contact me. Quick questions can be asked by steam/msn, longer/bigger ones I prefer by e-mail and public stuff I will just read on the forums. If you need me for something but I am not online you can just mail me. My phone checks my mail every 15 minutes and notifies me when I have a new message and depending on the sender I will either read/reply it right away or wait untill I am on a computer.
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

http://www.epps.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 18/4/2010, 14:25

You two guys are not the problem Smile

I didn't know that the default setting of the forum is that a new member gets emails of all the topics...

For myself i had to subscribe each forum independently. You can change it by going in each forum and at the bottom you can click Stop/start watching this forum. you can do it with individual topics as well.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 5/5/2010, 20:59

So looking at the poll results people want to be contacted via steamchat. But that is simply not efficient for the person who organizes the pugs. You can't try to find 12 people for a pug by asking them all directly via chat, it's too time consuming.

I thought that in this modern day and age everyone reads e-mail every day. Am i wrong??? Question

So the ideal way of communicating certain stuff like pugs or changes in the clan would be:

1.make a forum topic
2.people who should read it get a forum topic reply notification in their e-mail
3.they respond in the forum the same day or next day

Why doesn't this work?? Please enlighten me.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Greezy 5/5/2010, 21:19

Eraserhead, I think that in this modern day and age, people are simply PAST email. It was a revolutionary thing in 2000, but nowadays, I know that I personally use facebook to message people, and I go on the forum. My email is just collecting dust. Maybe we should make a facebook group? We could message all group members from it.
Young Greezy
Young Greezy
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 5/5/2010, 21:24

Hey if that works i'm all for it. I get lots of e-mail but that also because of work of course. Lets see what others say.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 5/5/2010, 21:41

E-mail outdated? Hell no! E-mail is like text messaging for me (smartphone, hurray). People are just horny for those social networking sites where you can be 'friends' with 800 total strangers.
Anyway we could try it. I believe Facebook can be hooked up with Twitter which also has RSS feeds so basicly it means that we have some of the most used functions to keep track of statusses/information available =D
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother_ 5/5/2010, 23:25

I check the forum just about every day. Whenever i play TF2, actually, which is pretty much every day.
Brother_
Brother_
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 6/5/2010, 07:24

I think the problem is with the people who DO play the game but DO NOT visit the forum regularly.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cake 6/5/2010, 13:30

If they DO play alot on the server, spam PUG COMING UP SOON in the chatbox or just beneath the - '' you got 291 kill-streak (cheater), amazing!!''

Well, not really spam but you know what I mean. Something like the ''type customhats to see our custom hats'' thingy. Maybe it'll work.
Cake
Cake
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by IPFreely 6/5/2010, 13:59

Yeah the problem is that we get so many auto messages that we begin to ignore every single e-mail that starts with "PULP"...Well that depends on how much spam the person receives on the daily basis.
IPFreely
IPFreely
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cake 6/5/2010, 14:06

But those killstreak things take your attention, right? It takes mine and I thought at least some more people are affected by it. That's why it could be 1/4 times you get a killstreak sign, since you get one about every 3-4 kills.

Maybe this is very hard to implement, but I think it's good. We have like 50 members now, and maybe it's better to let these events be on every friday or saturday. Like, in week 32 there were 2 persons who have had their birthday and we celebrate it on a WHOLE friday or saturday, so the people living in a different timezone can join the party too.

Btw, i know it's very hard to organize such things. I've heard that there are already enough problems with pugs and such, but this would be fun.
Cake
Cake
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 6/5/2010, 14:47

Advertising in-game would be one smart sollution, that way we will even reach our regulars (cant believe we never thought of that). We could also have them type 'pug info' to bring them to the thread on the forum.
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 6/5/2010, 15:46

I just added the advertisement to the server! Only problem is that only me and Jameless can do it and it has to be turned off in time of course. It is being advertised as green say message (chat) and as a hint message (just like the killstreak).

"13"
{
"type" "SH"
"text" "{GREEN} We have a 6vs6 pickup game on Saturday the 8th at 11:00 AM EST on our VIP server. Want to join? Register in the forums!"
}
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 6/5/2010, 15:53

IPFreely wrote:Yeah the problem is that we get so many auto messages that we begin to ignore every single e-mail that starts with "PULP"...Well that depends on how much spam the person receives on the daily basis.

Freely do you get auto updates about ALL new forum topics?
Did you subscribe to these yourself or was it this way since you made a forum account?
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cake 6/5/2010, 16:15

Man I'm awesome! I love myself more by the day!
I told you guys I would be a great addition to the clan!! (did I? lol) Very Happy
Cake
Cake
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Havik 6/5/2010, 16:47

The problem I have with facebook is, I only go on it for like a minute, check anything that needs to be checked, such as messages, see if there is anyone to talk to. Other than that, I just leave it alone.
Havik
Havik

http://www.sharpstyles.co.cc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down