Pulp Fortress forum archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How did you get into TF2?

+10
vladmirbsl69
Young Greezy
Havik
gibbo
Eraserhead
Jonesie|UKCS|
Lord Zurkov
Tendo
Epps
ninji
14 posters

Go down

How did you get into TF2? Empty How did you get into TF2?

Post by ninji 7/5/2010, 01:45

Idea of this thread taken from Steam forums; but we all know that that place is a hell hole

On October 6th, 2007, I was on G4TV.com, just browsing the site, I forget what for. And I saw an ad for the Orange Box. At that time I had only barely heard of it, and the most I had played of VALVe was Half-Life on the PlayStation 2, 3 years or so before said browsing. I was astonished to see that it was five freaking games for $50.00. I casually asked my mother if I she could purchase this game for me, not expecting a yes; but, as you can clearly see, I was pleasently surprised. And at 18:04:49 my Steam account was created, and my games were downloading.

Still, to this day, I consider it the greatest deal in gaming history. Not to mention, these five games are beyond superb, and I have played all five to their maximum capacity.

Hence my platinum.

Thank you, G4
ninji
ninji
Clan Member
Clan Member

http://www.tf2items.com/id/ijnin

Back to top Go down

How did you get into TF2? Empty Re: How did you get into TF2?

Post by Epps 7/5/2010, 09:57

My story is kinda long but I will try to keep it short for you guys.

Back before the Orange Box was released a friend of mine went all crazy about it; ‘Five games for the price of one?! HELL YEAH!’. Now I didn’t care because I had a PC that couldn’t even play Flash movies without lag (true story). It wasn’t until the next year when I received €2100 and bought myself a €800 laptop (if only I knew then what I know now…) that I started gaming again (I stopped after PS1).
I downloaded (HAX!) some games that were on the list of best games of 200X over at IGN and started playing them. One of them was HL2 and I liked it so much that it made me feel guilty about myself because I downloaded it so I bought the Orange Box, retail! That’s right, I have a real life Orange Box, not just a digital one.

Anyway, I played trough the HL games, went over to Portal and ended with TF2. Now if it wasn’t for IKTR I properly wouldn’t play TF2 today. I remembered their name from my Soldiers of Fortune II days, joined and even tho I was a newb people were nice to me. Then, IKTR died and my favorite server was no more. Went over to bonded, some 2fort servers and ended up playing on Pulp after it started. Eraser needed someone to make a website, I had the knowledge (2001 knowledge that is) and so I ended up playing TF2 and being in a clan Razz

tl;dr: pirated HL2 -> bought orange box -> played at the non-nonsense server of IKTR -> joined pulp at the start.
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

http://www.epps.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Tendo 7/5/2010, 10:00

I got into when i bought it. This game is fun i said. Then i stopped playing for a year, then i went back on. then i stopped until a little while ago.
Tendo
Tendo
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Zurkov 7/5/2010, 10:39

I'd owned Day of Defeat: Source and Counter-Strike: Source for a long time before the Orange Box was announced. I was excited when it was, and my brother & I planned to get it the second we could. Out of all the games provided, I was looking forward to TF2 the most (since the art direction is epic and TFC had come bundled with our HL2:DM/CS:S/DOD:S package, not to mention that it's the only game there with replayability).

My brother enjoys single-player games a lot more than I do, so we only pre-ordered it on his Steam account (because it'd be stupid to play an extra fifty bucks to get a single game you already have, amirite?). I watched him play the Half-Life series, I got my chance to play Portal, and I used his account to dominate on Team Fortress 2 from the beta onwards.

Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get a copy of TF2 for myself until halfway through the next year despite urging people to get it for ages (after all, what's the hurry? There's already a copy on your brother's account that he never uses, just play on that). If the medals were awarded for how long you've played the game, I'd have platinum. But they were awarded for how long you're owned the game.

To a certain extent, I'm glad that they added the platinum medal to TF2. Then again, the medals made me pretty angry and I'd just gotten over it when they patched in platinum, devaluing my already-paltry silver medal even further.

TL;DR: Fuck your platinum.

Last edited by Lord Zurkov on 7/5/2010, 10:43; edited 1 time in total
Lord Zurkov
Lord Zurkov
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 7/5/2010, 10:43

Ow Zurkov, it's just an useless item. People will forget about them in a few weeks just like they did with the cheaters lamenent. In fact, I have allready unequipped it.
Now I wonder if I can craft it....
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

http://www.epps.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Zurkov 7/5/2010, 10:44

Sgt Pepper wrote:Ow Zurkov, it's just an useless item. People will forget about them in a few weeks just like they did with the cheaters lamenent. In fact, I have allready unequipped it.
Now I wonder if I can craft it....
I never equipped mine, and that's not the point (also, they're not craftable). The point is that it sits in my inventory and lies about my veterancy to anyone who checks my backpack. I can't even delete the slanderous fiend without unfortunate implications...
Lord Zurkov
Lord Zurkov
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesie|UKCS| 7/5/2010, 12:05

I also owned Day of Deaft: Source and CounterStrike - Source for like 6 months, I owned at Day of Defeat. I was in like 4 clans for it, in like 2 scrim teams with... SUPPORT! Then two weekends later I was at my cousins house, he asked me to play on Team Fortress 2. He said to me to play Soldier, I found out that I was good, so I LOVED the game. Then a year later, I bought it, and I started playing Sniper... A LOT. I had like 600 hours as Sniper but, my account got hacked so I had to start over again. Now I have like 150.5 hours as Sniper and 110 hours as Soldier. Soldier my fav class.

Jonesie|UKCS|
I am banned, sad face! Unban me! I don't deserve it !
I am banned, sad face! Unban me! I don't deserve it !

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 7/5/2010, 12:55

I first played a pirated version of HL1 and of course later HL2, EP1, EP2 and Halo. If you play so many Valve games you can't escape the TF2 ad so i had seen the name a few times passing by. I could not download a pirated version so after checking out some screenshots and reviews of the game i decided to order the Orange Box. At the time i already lived in Suriname (where i still live) and since you cannot order stuff on the internet and let it ship to here (takes 6 weeks and gets stolen in the mail) i ordered it and my parents sent it to where i live.

Have been a TF2 addict ever since and the one guest pass i had i gave to Fubar and he became an addict too. Very Happy
Before that we used to play Far Cry together online but apart from that i don't have very much multiplayer gaming experience. The years that counterstrike came out and people played that i mostly played single player games (if i played at all).
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

http://www.pulpfortress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gibbo 7/5/2010, 14:08

i had the first hl on ps2 and then the 2nd on pc.i loved the second one so i wanted ep1 and ep2,to buy then separately cost£20 or £15 for the orange box and orange_x3 was the first map i played on tf2 Very Happy
gibbo
gibbo
Acting Game Admin
Acting Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Havik 7/5/2010, 15:34

Well, I first bought CS:S When I was 13, before school ended. I got really into it, and when I bought CS:S It came free with HL2 DM, DOD:S, and Half Life 2: Lost Coast. So, I played all of those games. All AWESOME. My brother decided to buy TF2, which made me go ZOMG WTF AWESOMENESS. And I wanted it, but he said GTFO. So, in mid november, my friend said he has 2 copies of TF2, I said I want one, and BLAMMO, here I am Very Happy
Havik
Havik

http://www.sharpstyles.co.cc

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Greezy 7/5/2010, 15:49

Back in late 2007, when Greezy was but a young 14 year old, his twin brothers, 8 years of age above him, both decide to buy new computers with the new core 2 quad processors. Both of his brothers also promptly bought the orange box, and showed him a newfangled game they loved called TF2.

My first experience with tf2 was playing on my brother Mike's computer on a custom map called rockettown. I was a scout and had no idea what the fuck was going on. I grabbed the intel and thought i was running in the right direction. Some man over the mic was like YEAH THAT WAY MAN. Then I fell down a hole somewhere and they were like "AUGH NO WHAT ARE YOU DOING!" I promptly disconnected because I was a scaredy cat noob. I played on and off till that summer when I played about an hour and half each day, and whenever I could get on mike's twin brother matt's computer. After the summer, they wouldn't let me play anymore but sometimes I snuck on matt's computer. Finally, in May, I bought TF2 on my parents shitty pentium 4 comp and had a blast with 15 fps. That was where I joined pulp! Now I have my nice new computer and I play here!

More like a history but you get the idea.
Young Greezy
Young Greezy
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by vladmirbsl69 7/5/2010, 20:25

i played hl and liked valve games. my friend got tf2 and said i should try it saying i could never ever get better than him. saw it was a valve game and was like ok i love these games. Got it December 25 2008(yes i got it on christmas) within 2 months of getting it i challanged my friend to something like the duels you do today but with everyclass starting at scout. I beat him in everyclass but heavy because thats all he played. So ya thats it
vladmirbsl69
vladmirbsl69

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother_ 8/5/2010, 01:31

I bought the Orange Box for Portal, TF2 was just a bonus. A great bonus.
Brother_
Brother_
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hyce777 8/5/2010, 02:32

My sister bought the orange box for Xbox 360 when it came out, because she heard about HL2. Watched her play it, played it a little myself, enjoyed it. Really loved Portal. Never touched TF2. Couple years later, I heard about Garry's Mod, and wanted to get it. I was talking with a railfanning buddy of mine, Matt, (KANE THE MESSIAH!) and he said he has it for PC, and told me to get TF2. So, in March 2009, I bought the orange box, and garrys mod. I played TF2 once or twice, sucked, forgot about it until May or so, and really started to love it. CGMZ was formed, we got our server, I ventured onto PULP to have some fun on Orange in August or so, met Eraserhead, and came back because of the nice people that played there. Been a member since.
hyce777
hyce777
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by UberLord 8/5/2010, 16:21

I bought the orange box at wal-mart with my brother. I snuck it past my mom because I was pretty young back then and she didn't want me playing M games. I didn't know how to get started on tf2, so I didn't play it for a bit. I played hl2 until the helicopter part where I was trapped, and I was a noob back then so I didn't know what to do. Anyway, I figured out that tf2 you have to go on servers so I joined a granary server, and then I loved every minute of it. I instantly fell in love with medic, it was the first class I played. My fist ingame name was The UberKing, then I got every medic weapon, and I switched my name to UberLord. I fell in love with orange. Later, I stumbled upon iktr, where I met the people I know and love. I remember that all I remembered about Eraserhead was that he was that pesky engi putting sentries at the bottom of the tower. I met jonesie when we had a snipe off, and I had been a pretty talented sniper back then. I later met homestar, who showed me the m3 server. I later joined m3. People in m3 and iktr knew eachother very well, and iktr and m3 broke up at similar times, so I joined LostBrotherhood near it's young age. I went afk for about a month in tf2. Eventually, I met back with eraserhead and jonesie and found out about pulp. Now I'm here!
Oops, I told the whole history of my tf2. There was a lot more, but I didn't post it all Razz
UberLord
UberLord

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick 8/5/2010, 16:38

ninji wrote:Idea of this thread taken from Steam forums; but we all know that that place is a hell hole

Let's zoom into this quote and see what he really says....
Idea of this thread taken from Steam forums; but we all know that that place is a hell hole

Expect the steam guys at your door in 3 hours with a portal gun and a force of nature.

Back on topic....
My friend had tf2 for the xbox and i like it, but i didn't have a xbox at the time so i bought it for the computer. Now he is the jealous one Twisted Evil
Nick
Nick
Clan Recruiter
Clan Recruiter

Back to top Go down

Post by ninji 8/5/2010, 20:50

Chuck wrote:
ninji wrote:Idea of this thread taken from Steam forums; but we all know that that place is a hell hole

Let's zoom into this quote and see what he really says....

Expect the steam guys at your door in 3 hours with a portal gun and a force of nature.

Oh you!
ninji
ninji
Clan Member
Clan Member

http://www.tf2items.com/id/ijnin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum