Pulp Fortress forum archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Asus ul50vt laptop- okay but not good, weird lag, pretty sure it's not internet

+9
Hoboapple
Epps
Google
jameless
Eraserhead
Nick
Socrates187
Young Greezy
dumbasscus
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Asus ul50vt laptop- okay but not good, weird lag, pretty sure it's not internet Empty Asus ul50vt laptop- okay but not good, weird lag, pretty sure it's not internet

Post by dumbasscus 28/8/2010, 16:34

I have this weird lag that happens in the most inconvenient times. I'll have my reticule on another scout, and as soon as I'm about to click, I'll freeze, and he'll shoot me first. Or a pyro that's a mile away and I will freeze for about 10 seconds, and when I'm out of it, he will have caught up with me. This is annoying, and I'm pretty sure it's not my internet connection because that's when I start teleporting everywhere. My screen just freezes and I stop moving for about 5-15 seconds and it's exetremely annoying. I think it might be my processor, video card, norton anti-virus, etc. I'm pretty sure this is unfixable, but can anyone tell me what I can do to fix this?

My last desktop had a crappy 2005 video card (which was given to me by a friend, I had an even crappier integrated one before that), but it worked fine in a map like orange. The only problem with it was a weird virus that made my comp shut down every ten minutes. Anyways, it eventually shut down and never turned back on, and that's why I stopped playing on Pulp servers from December-March, because I didn't have a computer. Now I have a decent laptop but I still have problems with it.
dumbasscus
dumbasscus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Asus ul50vt laptop- okay but not good, weird lag, pretty sure it's not internet Empty Re: Asus ul50vt laptop- okay but not good, weird lag, pretty sure it's not internet

Post by Young Greezy 28/8/2010, 16:58

When in doubt, reformat it out.

Well that's what I do. But I'm sure James or some other smart person could give you a much better explanation.
Young Greezy
Young Greezy
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Asus ul50vt laptop- okay but not good, weird lag, pretty sure it's not internet Empty Re: Asus ul50vt laptop- okay but not good, weird lag, pretty sure it's not internet

Post by Socrates187 28/8/2010, 17:40

Try turning off Norton, get moar ram, and if your computer is cluttered, try clearing some stuff out. Reformatting is a good idea. When in doubt, upgrade
Socrates187
Socrates187
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick 28/8/2010, 17:40

Young Greezy wrote:When in doubt, reformat it out.
Nick
Nick
Clan Recruiter
Clan Recruiter

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 28/8/2010, 21:40

Defragment your harddisk, defragment your gamecache. Next time when the lag happens you need to look at the LED from your harddrive to check if it's very busy or not. It might indicate fragmentation.

Like Socrates said, turn off virus scanner, you might also try to install gamebooster.

You could also check the steam support forums, there is lots of info in the FAQ there. And as Valve customer you can make a ticket so they can help you. Thats what i did/do.

Also i found this on the CEVO website:
Spoiler:
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

http://www.pulpfortress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dumbasscus 30/8/2010, 02:11

Ok, I'll download gamebooster, because I read some very positive reviews. As for all that other CEVO jargon, I have no idea. Where should I download it, just in case I download something completely different (or if I might download it from an unreliable site)?
dumbasscus
dumbasscus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 30/8/2010, 08:38

Download what?
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dumbasscus 30/8/2010, 11:21

Read, man! Gamebooster, you said it yourself! On cnet, it says gamebooster temporarily shuts down every other process when you turn it on, and it turns them back on when you're done.
dumbasscus
dumbasscus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 30/8/2010, 11:26

Thought you were talking about CEVO. You can use this link: http://majorgeeks.com/Game_Booster_d5952.html
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dumbasscus 30/8/2010, 12:17

What does defragmenting my gamecache do? I understand that it might help with my problem, but if I try defragmenting TF2, for instance, can I still play it? I ask this because I remember I was on one of my friend's computers and none of his games worked because it said that they were defragmented. Or I am on shrooms.

BTW- thanks for the help Erasherhead, I appreciate it.
dumbasscus
dumbasscus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Greezy 30/8/2010, 12:36

Defragmenting is kind of like a really good reorganization of your files.

Think of your hard drive as a book shelf full of books. When you start using it, everything is in the right order, all alphabetized and clean and crisp, great for quick access. However, over time, things start to clutter up, and your favourite books are in the wrong places and it starts taking longer to access your desired reading material.

When you defrag, it essentially takes the "fragments" which are your files (think of shrapnel on a grenade when it explodes) and puts everything back in the right spot (like taking all the pieces of shrapnel and remaking the grenade out of them).

That's what I was taught, but if I'm wrong somebody can correct me.
Young Greezy
Young Greezy
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by jameless 30/8/2010, 12:47

Well your explanation of fragmentation is correct but different defraggers can handle things in different ways. Ideally a good defrag program will place your "favorite books" towards the front of the "shelf" for even easier access. Not necessarily "alphabetical order". Just take heed though as Solid State Drives become more popular, if they become mainstream you do not want to defragment an SSD.
jameless
jameless
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Greezy 30/8/2010, 12:56

Ah that's interesting, I did not know that.
Young Greezy
Young Greezy
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 30/8/2010, 13:18

with some defrag programs you can even tell where to move which data.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dumbasscus 30/8/2010, 13:42

Thanks guys! Now I lag for about half a second at a time, and it happens far less often. Now everything's a lot better

OK, I plyed and the ten second long stuttering is coming back. I think it might be Norton. Does anyone know how to temporarily disable it? I searched it on google and I'm not coming up with any asnwers.
dumbasscus
dumbasscus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Google 30/8/2010, 16:54

Uninstall -> Get a new anti-virus
Google
Google
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dumbasscus 2/9/2010, 11:18

Which antivirus would you recommend, smart guy? Anyways, I think I figured out how to disable it. I need to click "off" on a series of switches. It's kind of annoying, and I wish they just had one button that did it all.
dumbasscus
dumbasscus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Google 2/9/2010, 11:32

Why don't you do some research smarter guy[use google]. I have ESET NOD32 if you wanna pirate that.
Google
Google
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Greezy 2/9/2010, 11:34

Just get Avast antivirus, it works fine. I haven't had a virus since I got this computer Very Happy
Young Greezy
Young Greezy
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 2/9/2010, 12:20

NOD32, next question!
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

http://www.epps.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 2/9/2010, 17:22

Young Greezy wrote:Just get Avast antivirus, it works fine. I haven't had a virus since I got this computer Very Happy

Thats what you think....
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoboapple 2/9/2010, 18:45

Young Greezy wrote:Just get a mac, it works fine. I haven't had a virus since I got this computer Very Happy
Hoboapple
Hoboapple

Back to top Go down

Post by jameless 2/9/2010, 18:49

Young Greezy wrote:Just get a sledgehammer, it works fine. I haven't had a virus since I got this computer Very Happy
jameless
jameless
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Google 2/9/2010, 19:18

Young Greezy wrote:Just get a condom, it works fine. I haven't had a virus since I got this condom Very Happy
Google
Google
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by LieuTennet 2/9/2010, 19:20

Young Greezy wrote:Just get The Pull Out Method for Dummies, it works fine. I haven't had a virus since I got this book Very Happy
LieuTennet
LieuTennet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next