Pulp Fortress forum archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another suggestion - Chats

+4
Jonesie|UKCS|
Eraserhead
Epps
Cake
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Another suggestion - Chats Empty Another suggestion - Chats

Post by Cake 5/5/2010, 10:18

There should be a chatroom to talk with eachother rather than replying to eachother's posts... Communication will be much faster like this. Won't it?
Cake
Cake
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Another suggestion - Chats Empty Re: Another suggestion - Chats

Post by Epps 5/5/2010, 10:28

Allready tried this, three times. Noone used it making it a big failure.
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

http://www.epps.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Cake 5/5/2010, 11:36

O lol ok, lock this thread then.
Cake
Cake
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 5/5/2010, 12:22

Well it was used at some moment but i think it's only effective if you have a constant flow of forum visitors.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

http://www.pulpfortress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesie|UKCS| 5/5/2010, 12:55

Which we havn't got. We only need it for like 300 members, mebeh?

Jonesie|UKCS|
I am banned, sad face! Unban me! I don't deserve it !
I am banned, sad face! Unban me! I don't deserve it !

Back to top Go down

Post by Furgus 5/5/2010, 15:51

Well I was thinking. When admins have meetings and or something to talk to about another applicant or member. w/e/ they have to do. We could just have a chat for that. Where it says HOME,CALENDAR,FAQ,SEARCH ...... we could have Admin Chat. When there is a meeting schedule. Like at May 5, 2010. 5:00pm eastern time. Admins and anybody else would come on the website and click ADMIN CHAT. And only certain people would be allowed in there. To talk about w/e.
Furgus
Furgus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cake 5/5/2010, 15:56

If you're going to do that, you might let regular members in also, but with no writing/speaking/talking privileges. Let them see/read/hear what the admins are talking about, maybe they'll learn stuff in the progress about anything.
Cake
Cake
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Furgus 5/5/2010, 16:01

I just thought of this now. But when applicants are almost members. There should be like 2 admins interviewing him. And that would be good way to use the chat. And the admins would discuss f he should be member and if there were any problems of him doing anything. For example, like I was annoying this player in the game a few days ago just to play sniper. And Nicobbq reocored me. So the admins would talk about that to me.
admin #1- "How do you feel about this situation?"
Applicant - "I feel good. "

Stuff like that.
Furgus
Furgus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cake 5/5/2010, 16:06

Good idea... I've got nothing to add to it, which is unusual for me lol Razz
I'm trying to come up with something but I can't, this is pretty much everything I had in my mind.
Man, Furgus, you can read my mind. I love you man.
Cake
Cake
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 5/5/2010, 18:27

Furgus wrote:Well I was thinking. When admins have meetings and or something to talk to about another applicant or member. w/e/ they have to do. We could just have a chat for that. Where it says HOME,CALENDAR,FAQ,SEARCH ...... we could have Admin Chat. When there is a meeting schedule. Like at May 5, 2010. 5:00pm eastern time. Admins and anybody else would come on the website and click ADMIN CHAT. And only certain people would be allowed in there. To talk about w/e.

I tried that on a wiki, we had 8 admins on it and after two sessions we had nothing left to say. I'm 80% sure the same would happen here as well considering how we hardly get any new topics in the admin forum. In other words if it would be my call, denied.
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

http://www.epps.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 5/5/2010, 19:53

Personally i dislike groupchats, i saw it on LB clan once where all the admins and some members discussed serioust topics in a very long chat and then posted it on the forum for others to read. It is super reader unfriendly with important stuff in it mixed with silly sentences. Also what i like about a forum is that you can read/reply in between doing other things like work, watching TV, maintenance of the server, installing software, etc.

A forum also forces people to choose there words more carefully and you can quote people and it's in a nice chronological order. Groupchat is for fun only in my opinion.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Furgus 5/5/2010, 20:15

Eraserhead wrote:Personally i dislike groupchats, i saw it on LB clan once where all the admins and some members discussed serioust topics in a very long chat and then posted it on the forum for others to read. It is super reader unfriendly with important stuff in it mixed with silly sentences. Also what i like about a forum is that you can read/reply in between doing other things like work, watching TV, maintenance of the server, installing software, etc.

A forum also forces people to choose there words more carefully and you can quote people and it's in a nice chronological order. Groupchat is for fun only in my opinion.

Groupchat could be for fun. Just like pugs were before. But someone took charge like Panda and Greezy and made it really serious. Group chats could have the same effect. But if you think it's useless just lock this thread.
Furgus
Furgus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 5/5/2010, 20:50

I'm not attacking you man, i'm not intested in locking threads where people discuss idea's. Only three things:

1.I can give you about 20 ideas discussed in this forum which were all great idea's but no one picks them up, everyone likes to talk about idea's but to implement them and then make something out of it is a whole other thing. It takes dedication.
2.I'm just giving my opinion here. If a lot of people want to do groupchat there is no one that will prevent you, go to steam>Elite group>Join Group Chatroom.
3.The pugs were started by you Furgus. In my recollection they were not meant as fun but as pickup games, you cannot interpret a pug as anything else. Panda then organized two pugs i think but then he didn't have time anymore. I took over with his permission and made the pugs really serious. I know exactly how much work i put into it. Read the scrimteam tactics forum where i posted a summery of the article on Gotfrag. Main thing i changed was make a roster of which player would be in what team and which class they would play in advance. Check all the pugs where i had to find 12 people each time to fill them up, only a few respond in the forum and the rest i had to find by sending endless chats and half of the people not responding. It was really a kick when the first couple of pugs i organized where really succesful, it was real competitive play. Thats when i asked Greezy to help me organize them, he is a serious player who has proven himself to be capable to organize. Don't forget Jameless who spent many many hours in getting Matchmod to work which ensures we have a professional match environment. He even contributed in the development of the plugin. The pug of last sunday was very hard to organize again. People come late, people leave in the middle of the game, so you all have to manage that, find replacements while everyone is waiting to start, etc,etc.

I even made a forum topic about what the best way is to contact people but it had a unsatisfactory result: http://forum.pulpfortress.com/general-discussions-f5/best-way-of-contacting-members-t663.htm
So to organize a scrim people want you to contact them via steamchat which is hell. If you organize a pug you have to ask all members in PULP (currently 30) personally if they want to join a pug/scrim? C'mon! So the organizer has to check multiple times a day if someone is online and then ask the same question over and over again....

Conclusion: Ideas are nice but it finally comes to the work that needs to be put into it to make something out of it. I don't wish to murder your idea's with this long story but just want to illustrate that what we need right now is people who actually do something, less talk and more walk!

PS: Communication in organizations like this is especially tricky, i know enough about this trust me. I'm still trying to figure out what's the best way to streamline communication in the best way. For instance we get challenged by a clan and it takes days for us to confirm a date as a team, i guess we will get better at it though in time.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Furgus 5/5/2010, 21:02

lol I read the first line. But I'm not arguing or trying to persuade you. Just putting somethings out there.
Furgus
Furgus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 5/5/2010, 21:12

Furgus wrote:
Groupchat could be for fun. Just like pugs were before. But someone took charge like Panda and Greezy and made it really serious. Group chats could have the same effect. But if you think it's useless just lock this thread.

You are suggesting here that things are easily done and become serious just like that, i wanted to illustrate how much effort it takes.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Greezy 5/5/2010, 21:16

Dark, pugs are supposed to be serious. That's what they are! When they aren't serious, it defeats the whole purpose.
Young Greezy
Young Greezy
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by miht 5/5/2010, 21:54

Not to be a party pooper. But dark, you wanted pulp to be more serious with all the pugs and everything. Remember when your name was still dark soul and you tried to organize pugs. Now its orginize and u ocmplain -.- but im not trying to flame just stating the facts so do not get offended dark.
miht
miht
Junior Game Admin
Junior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cake 6/5/2010, 03:43

Guys, I think this thread is starting to get somewhere in the ''nearly hostile'' area. Lock it? It's useless to talk more about it when we aren't going to do anything about it.
Cake
Cake
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 6/5/2010, 07:33

I compliment Furgus/Dark Soul for his efforts made and things accomplished. I do not want to be hostile or make this thread into a flamewar or anything. I felt a bit irritated about Furus' last remark which i quoted where he suggested idea's turn into something serious like that. Anyway back on topic:

I was looking for a very old topic Lord Zurkov once posted but i couldnt find it. He made a shortcut you could place on your desktop that opens the steam group chat. Maybe we could place that link in the forum. For anyone who wants to research other chatbox options please go here: http://help.forumotion.com/frequently-asked-questions-f5/

I have enabled the default forum chatbox at the bottom of this forum (again) so you can see how that works.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cake 6/5/2010, 13:39

I like it, although I have to keep a tab open to watch it and nobody is on it. I'm going to try keeping it open as long as I can if I'm busy on the pc. I hope a lot of the pulp members will join the chat regularly if they aren't playing tf2 or something else.
Cake
Cake
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Furgus 6/5/2010, 18:42

w/e
Furgus
Furgus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Zurkov 6/5/2010, 23:28

Eraserhead wrote:I was looking for a very old topic Lord Zurkov once posted but i couldnt find it. He made a shortcut you could place on your desktop that opens the steam group chat. Maybe we could place that link in the forum. For anyone who wants to research other chatbox options please go here: http://help.forumotion.com/frequently-asked-questions-f5/
Here ya go.
Lord Zurkov
Lord Zurkov
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 7/5/2010, 07:14

Thanks Zurkov.

See the top menu of the forum where i made two links to the steam chatrooms. 1 for the community group and 1 for the clanmembers group. Let me know if i need to rename it or anything.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cake 7/5/2010, 10:59

They both lead to the PULP Elite chatroom. Shouldn't only the clanmembers chat lead to the pulp elite chatroom?
Cake
Cake
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 7/5/2010, 12:39

It should be fixed now.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin