Pulp Fortress forum archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Melee Mode removed from the server or lets admins control the vote?

+11
jameless
UberLord
DrManette
Furgus
miht
Nicobbq
ninji
Eraserhead
Jonesie|UKCS|
Epps
Lord Zurkov
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Melee Mode removed from the server or lets admins control the vote? Empty kan we haz abstain frum voetz? kthx

Post by Lord Zurkov 16/4/2010, 00:53

After Vlad's votemute fiasco, I figured this would be worth bringing up.

Most servers have an option in votes where you can press a button (usually "0") to avoid voting at all. On our server, you're forced to make a choice. I'd imagine most people press a button randomly just to get the damn thing out of their faces.
Lord Zurkov
Lord Zurkov
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Melee Mode removed from the server or lets admins control the vote? Empty Re: Melee Mode removed from the server or lets admins control the vote?

Post by Epps 16/4/2010, 03:46

So that's what this topic is about. God I hate misleading topic names. Anyway a 'neutral' vote sounds fair to me.
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

http://www.epps.nl

Back to top Go down

Melee Mode removed from the server or lets admins control the vote? Empty Re: Melee Mode removed from the server or lets admins control the vote?

Post by Jonesie|UKCS| 16/4/2010, 04:08

I agree.

Jonesie|UKCS|
I am banned, sad face! Unban me! I don't deserve it !

Back to top Go down

Melee Mode removed from the server or lets admins control the vote? Empty Melee Mode removed from the server or lets admins control the vote?

Post by Jonesie|UKCS| 16/4/2010, 04:18

I for one, have gotten sick of Melee mode being spammed in the server. When you are in a really good game playing whatever class you love, and you are owning people on the server they just type in "votemelee". Everytime I see it, I keep saying to them, "If you wanna do Melee, go to a Melee server!" Then the vote goes forth and succeeds. It really annoys me that the admins can't control the vote.

Or, if you dont want to do that, cant you atleast put something like : 3. Cancel Vote. So then that can cancel the whole vote. The same as the Sniper vote, everytime a good Sniper comes into the server for example, Archangel Michael, one of my good friends, they either cause them to be hacking, or if they can't prove it, WHEN they are getting owned by that Sniper, they cast a VOTESNIPER!

When melee has been voted, I've seen more than half of the server just quit because they didn't come on there to play melee, they came on there to play normally. Now, to be honest, it sucks! I know that quite a few of you will be able to agree with me that lots of server regulars leave due to the fact they, most of them probably hate melee. It ruins the whole game!

Jonesie|UKCS|

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 16/4/2010, 05:59

You're not alone with this Jonesie, I feel the same about melee mode. When it gets turned on I am one of those people who will either leave right away or waits for the next vote to turn it off. It often gets turned with just 50 to 55% of the votes which is just plain old bullshit, proof is the fact that our server goes near empty after melee mode is activated...
Wanna play melee, go to a melee server, I tell that all the time to those spammers (perhaps I should warn vote-spammers).
Anyway, a possible solution could be to higher the amount of votes needed for melee mode to be turned on and keep the amount to turn off melee mode the same. Either that or just get rid of the vote all together.

As for the votesniper, Valve included the sniper with a reason and as we all know the whole game is made to have classes that balance eachother out. Most of the times when snipers get turned off people go spam heavy-medic couple and guess what takes care of heavies? Spies and snipers. With a team thats spychecking 24/7 you can imagine how hard it is to take them out. In other words, just remove the vote and keep the sniper limited to 1 player.
Talking about snipers, if you are one of those pussy fags who stands on the other side of the map with your back against the wall, making only bodyshots and act as if you're great, then stop playing right now!

tl;dr: Screw melee mode and screw the sniper vote!
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 16/4/2010, 06:00

Cpt Jonesie wrote:I agree.
Yeah, someone else finds the name of th etopic misleading Very Happy
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 16/4/2010, 08:15

What's with this haz stuff anyways, i feel i'm getting to old guys.

I agree that we should change this it should either be:

Mute player x?

8.Yes
9.No

or if that's not possible:

1.blank
2.blank
3.no
4.yes

Also i think we should change votesniper to 30 or maybe even 60 minutes to avoid these constant spams. Also maybe make an advertisement out of it so not everyone is asking about why they can't play sniper. But then again, no one ever reads the chat advertisements, they are blind to them. Best would be a custom map with a permanent spray on the wall of spawn.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

http://www.pulpfortress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ninji 16/4/2010, 09:42

Sgt Pepper wrote:Proof is the fact that our server goes near empty after melee mode is activated...
I see about 1 or 2 people leave when a melee vote is passed.

Sgt Pepper wrote:Wanna play melee, go to a melee server, I tell that all the time to those spammers
Would you mind providing an IP to a melee server?

Sgt Pepper wrote:Talking about snipers, if you are one of those pussy fags who stands on the other side of the map with your back against the wall, making only bodyshots and act as if you're great, then stop playing right now!
I agree so heavily with this statement, and I can safely say that I am not part of the problem. As a sniper, I find it moraly incorrect to stand in one area of the map, and I never stop moving. But since I seem to be the only person in the world who fights with honor in TF2, I think it best to have Sniper deactivated for the majority of the time.
ninji
ninji
Clan Member
Clan Member

http://www.tf2items.com/id/ijnin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 16/4/2010, 09:58

Personally i like melee mode now and then. I haven't gotten melee in a long while. It also gives me some good practise to use the bottle haha.

Only i hate it when it happens 3 times in 1,5 hrs. But mostly then the most people will vote negative. You can also influence this by calling NO NO NO don't vote for melee.

The fact remains that there are always people who want to do melee. Mostly when the server has a few players. And then some asshole comes along who starts shooting and won't stop and it ruins the melee.

True, we could disable it altogether but my own opinion is that it should remain there. We could have a poll about this.

Yes, i also am starting to think that we should lose the votesniper and just keep it limited to 1 sniper. This also solves the spamming of that vote. I will take action on this right now, if people have problems with it we can always re-enable it again. I remember the main problem was that when you are playing with 4vs4 players a sniper can ruin the game. I still agree to that but when you have to choose the lesser of two evils i think the vote should be removed.

edit: oh i just read Ninji's post who states sniper should be deactivated altogether? hmm ok what do other people say about this, i posted in another topic that we could also increase the snipervote to 30 minutes so the spamming of that vote decreases a bit.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ninji 16/4/2010, 10:20

It is a tough thing to call. The sniper is not only an important class, it is my favorite. I don't think it should be disabled entirely; Eraser, I think the 1 limit, with no vote will be just fine for the time being, we will see how it goes.
ninji
ninji
Clan Member
Clan Member

http://www.tf2items.com/id/ijnin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 16/4/2010, 10:29

OK. It will be done.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicobbq 16/4/2010, 11:04

The votemelee feature should be compeltely removed, Only admins should have the right to start one...
Because everytime youre capping the VERY LAST POINT, one douchebag calls Votemelee and ruins the goddamn game.
Nicobbq
Nicobbq
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by miht 16/4/2010, 11:46

Eraserhead wrote:What's with this haz stuff anyways, i feel i'm getting to old guys.

I agree that we should change this it should either be:

Mute player x?

8.Yes
9.No

or if that's not possible:

1.blank
2.blank
3.no
4.yes

Also i think we should change votesniper to 30 or maybe even 60 minutes to avoid these constant spams. Also maybe make an advertisement out of it so not everyone is asking about why they can't play sniper. But then again, no one ever reads the chat advertisements, they are blind to them. Best would be a custom map with a permanent spray on the wall of spawn.
for the blank stuff totally agreed with u eraser.
But for votesniper just remove the votesniper and leasve as 1 sniper. becasue a lotta people want to play sniper. and if you just get body shot by a sniper, either go sniper or scout rush them or backstab them. don't rage. thats my thoughts on that =3
miht
miht
Junior Game Admin
Junior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by miht 16/4/2010, 11:48

i like jonesies idea where admins can cancel votes. this can also make it so we canrestart it without glitches i think =-3
miht
miht
Junior Game Admin
Junior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 16/4/2010, 12:23

Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 16/4/2010, 14:44

Some updates:

I merged Zurkov's and Jonesies topics into one because they were both about voting.
Sniper is now hard limited to 1 and the votesniper vote has been disabled.

For melee i have asked Jameless what we can do and it turns out we can set it so that people can still do the vote but it has to be approved by and admin. I have asked him to change it to this so all admin levels can approve.

Requiring a higher amount of votes to turn it on then to turn it of isn't possible. This can only be done by making two votes: meleeon and meleeoff (or other names).

Pepper, can you please remove votesniper from the motd: http://www.pulpfortress.com/motd/motd.html
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 16/4/2010, 15:10

Done, added the EU scrim community page to the navigation as well.
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

Back to top Go down

Post by Furgus 16/4/2010, 16:23

Okay melee. It's the worst. It's for Newbssss. Now sniper is the same thing. TF2 involves itself with 9 types of characters. They all have some sort of advantage over another character. Now if one character is not allowed. Then there will be one character saying "FUCK you!!!! You can't kill me without a sniper." Well that just ruins the game. We should have all characters playing. Some people are afraid of snipers. I don't know why. It sucks when my team is losing and I want to go sniper to head shot everyone. But the other team votes no so they could win. It get kinda of annoying after a few times of getting voted know for sniper.

Also the time between consecutive votes. Should be smaller. Like the time a melee lasts should be 5 minutes and not ten. And time to start a sniper vote again should be shorter. We should wait like five minutes and not like 1236 seconds or whatever it is. PLz do something about the ideas or what I like to call them "NEWB BENEFITS".
Furgus
Furgus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by miht 16/4/2010, 16:40

we removed the sniper vote buddy l2read.
miht
miht
Junior Game Admin
Junior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Zurkov 16/4/2010, 16:44

Sgt Pepper wrote:As for the votesniper, Valve included the sniper with a reason and as we all know the whole game is made to have classes that balance eachother out. Most of the times when snipers get turned off people go spam heavy-medic couple and guess what takes care of heavies? Spies and snipers. With a team thats spychecking 24/7 you can imagine how hard it is to take them out. In other words, just remove the vote and keep the sniper limited to 1 player.
Talking about snipers, if you are one of those pussy fags who stands on the other side of the map with your back against the wall, making only bodyshots and act as if you're great, then stop playing right now!

tl;dr: Screw melee mode and screw the sniper vote!
I agree that Snipers have a place in the game, but they are absurdly overpowered when the map doesn't cripple them with tons of cover and alternate routes. On Orange_X3 you should be able to votesniper, but otherwise it should be disabled (I still think we should be running cp_orange_x3_viper...).
ninji wrote:Would you mind providing an IP to a melee server?
Gladly. There's an entire maptype devoted to it. Search for "melee_" in the map name field.
Lord Zurkov
Lord Zurkov
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DrManette 16/4/2010, 17:21

I never really enjoy melee mode it's mostly just an annoyance. Wouldn't miss it if we dumped it.
DrManette
DrManette

http://www.biofoxgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by UberLord 16/4/2010, 17:35

remember once, some idiots who raged at a decent sniper votesnipered it to 0 and our WHOLE TEAM got a giant spam of soldiers, I mean, they just killled us off with soldiers, I forgot when this was, but it kinda PO'd me...
UberLord
UberLord

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Zurkov 16/4/2010, 17:41

On Orange_X3, even mediocre Snipers can be obscenely OP. There's no cover and no alternate routes, so your options are hide in the tower/spawn or take your chances against the Snipers. If your whole team rushed the Sniper you might have a chance (assuming their team is almost totally worthless), but even then expect to take serious casualties.

I advise removing votesniper and running a less Sniper-friendly version of Orange_X.
Lord Zurkov
Lord Zurkov
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicobbq 16/4/2010, 17:54

Zurkov for president
Nicobbq
Nicobbq
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DrManette 16/4/2010, 19:23

On Orange_X3, even mediocre Snipers can be obscenely OP. There's no cover and no alternate routes, so your options are hide in the tower/spawn or take your chances against the Snipers. If your whole team rushed the Sniper you might have a chance (assuming their team is almost totally worthless), but even then expect to take serious casualties.

I advise removing votesniper and running a less Sniper-friendly version of Orange_X.

My thoughts exactly. Every time I bring this up on the server I get the hating snipers is for noobs speech, which is totally understandable on STOCK maps. However, orange is the most sniper friendly map I know, besides a totally flat rectangular room with zero cover. I would love to have all non-huntsman snipers booted right off the map. At least bring the votesniper feature back.
DrManette
DrManette

http://www.biofoxgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next