Pulp Fortress forum archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KNOW YOUR ROLE PART 1

+13
Lord Zurkov
Google
Hoboapple
Eraserhead
Nicobbq
miht
Nick
The Mad Hatter
Epps
Young Greezy
jameless
Furgus
2LTCQOY
17 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

KNOW YOUR ROLE  PART 1 Empty KNOW YOUR ROLE PART 1

Post by 2LTCQOY 8/9/2010, 20:45

For an orangex pub, clearly strategy and preparation cannot play too big of a role. However, i want to make the specific class roles more concrete, if only for the mental masturbation. Got fed up with people playing stupidly (again a pub). I know I'm likely preaching to the choir, but I still want to map it out for those who forget how the class balance is supposed to work. Feel free to add/remove/edit what you think it should be.

On orangex: a well mixed class is vital to achieving the objective. What is the objective? To jerk around on top of the tower and turtle trying to wait until the veteran players on the other team lose their interest and leave? NO! Too often we forget that we need to capture points once and a while too. Key to this is a well mixed team (as much as can be mustered), with every player knowing what role their class is to fulfill.

Medic - Primary Mission - Heal people/uber/extinguish W+M1 flames. Hierarchy of heal: flaming players, players near death, buffing your big boys (heavies/soldiers/demos).
Secondary Mission - Warn of spies (by running in front of your pocket, dealing with them yourself etc.) This is often neglected but quickly regretted bc nothings worse than losing a uber bc your pocket (or yourself) didnt notice the noob behind you.

Sniper - Primary Mission - Deny enemy freedom of maneuver in open areas. Do this how you can, if camping is the best thing to do in a situation then camp away. Take off their heads so many times that just seeing your distant image makes them think twice about crossing the open spaces. Confine and canalize the enemy into your teammates defenses.
Secondary Mission - Countersnipe. Secondary only because often (guilty of this myself) snipers can become preoccupied with doing a circle jerk with whatever sniper they may encounter. Given a choice between a fully charged medic and the enemy sniper, save your buddies some grief and put a bullet in the medic's krauthole.

Scout - Primary Mission - Capture Control Points. By capping points you FORCE the opponent to respond to your threat as opposed to responding to whatever they're sending your way. This will draw away the enemy to allow better maneuver of your main force. The scout is the key to setting your team's rhythm and they should be prepared to dodge more than shoot, which leads to their
Secondary Mission - Infiltrating/disrupting stragglers in the backfield. A dodging scout is hard to hit, if you are sneaky enough you can even surprise those camping snipers leading to better freedom of maneuver for your buddies. Sure you are going to die a lot, but at least you can be satisfied knowing that the distraction allowed an engie to build up or even a spy to get back there.

Spy - Primary Mission - Building destruction/disruption. Disguise, sap, stab. Easy to learn hard to master. Havent seen too many pro spies on here recently. Buildings are their focus because they can set the stage for dislodging a camp on the tower or before the last point. This is their primary mission. Dicking around with snipers is great fun, but not what will help win the game.
Secondary Mission - Wrecking general havok on the opponent. Stab a medic coming around the corner to the tower and see how much the opponent freaks the fuck out. If you can blend in well enough and do it again the enemy will spend more time hunting you than trying to bulldoze your camp or tend to your capping scout. CnD is a crutch but effective in this role.

Engineer - Primary Mission - Teleporters/Dispensers. Your sentry will not be enough to stop even a capable demo from taking it down. Teleporters should be the first thing you drop when you spawn and the second thing you build (after providing defense if no cover is available). It takes WAY too long for a heavy and soldier to get into the fight after the respawn. Being a pub, a lot of your firepower changes classes after a few times having to schlep from the spawn to the fight. Dispensers allow you to upgrade/heal/be a good little engie. This class is a SUPPORT class. Support your buddies. Of course, if your team is barely hanging on to your last point, you turn to:
Secondary Mission - Sentries - Yes, secondary. Defend key points, not just control points. Orangex is designed with several well placed areas where you can give your buddies a fall-back line to surprise the enemy. Note: Surprise the enemy. After a scout gets killed a couple times, they will likely change classes and become a problem for you. Change their positions frequently. Valve gave the engie the great ability to move a built items so do so at every opportunity.

Thats all for now. I can hit the other classes another time. Maybe its the infantryman in me but i think that a little coordination can help a lot in seeing more competitive (read: fun) games. Let me know what you think so far.
2LTCQOY
2LTCQOY

Back to top Go down

KNOW YOUR ROLE  PART 1 Empty Re: KNOW YOUR ROLE PART 1

Post by Furgus 8/9/2010, 21:11

Whys is this in the flamethrower section?

But also, if you have won 2 rounds in a short amount of time. Cap the enemies second point. And don't cap the last one. I like to mess around with those newbs. It ruins everyones fun if one team just keeps winning.

Last edited by Furgus on 8/9/2010, 21:14; edited 1 time in total
Furgus
Furgus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jameless 8/9/2010, 21:13

Because I assume he was jarate\'d at the people that weren't being team players.
jameless
jameless
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Greezy 8/9/2010, 21:52

I'm personally of the opinion now that it's orange and trying to make it competitive is like trying to make 6 month old babies run marathons
Young Greezy
Young Greezy
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Furgus 8/9/2010, 21:57

Greezy nothing is impossible.
KNOW YOUR ROLE  PART 1 CIMG0043-707038
Furgus
Furgus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 8/9/2010, 22:03

jameless wrote:Because I assume he was jarate'd at the people that weren't being team players.
Team players on orange, ow you Laughing
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

http://www.epps.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mad Hatter 8/9/2010, 22:20

Someone give this guy the IP to the rotation server.

And maybe a new hobby.
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Attention whore
Attention whore

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick 8/9/2010, 22:21

Greezy Furgus just owned ur ass
Nick
Nick
Clan Recruiter
Clan Recruiter

Back to top Go down

Post by Furgus 8/9/2010, 22:21

2LTCQOY don't take this offensive. Mad Hatter is just like this. He isn't afraid to speak his mind.
Furgus
Furgus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Greezy 8/9/2010, 22:23

Chuck wrote:Greezy Furgus just owned ur ass

Looks like a 2 or 3 year old to me
Young Greezy
Young Greezy
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Furgus 8/9/2010, 22:30

Not even a 2 year old. Maybe a close to 1 year.
Furgus
Furgus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by miht 8/9/2010, 22:57

yoooo i bet the baby is more mature than u furgus
miht
miht
Junior Game Admin
Junior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Furgus 8/9/2010, 23:00

Maybe but he can't speak. So there is no way to tell what is going in his mind.
Furgus
Furgus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mad Hatter 9/9/2010, 08:07

Furgus wrote:2LTCQOY don't take this offensive. Mad Hatter is just like this. He isn't afraid to speak his mind.

I hope he takes this offensively. He's another 95%-of-the-time sniper whore (actual CP2 Camper, since the filter got turned off) trying to tell others how to play on Orange 3.

What the fuck, man.
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Attention whore
Attention whore

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicobbq 9/9/2010, 08:08

2LTCQOY don't take this offensive. Mad Hatter is just like this. He isn't afraid to speak his mind.
2LTCQOY Take this offensive and pwn his ass! Don't be affraid to speak your mind!
Nicobbq
Nicobbq
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mad Hatter 9/9/2010, 08:27

Yeah! Kick my ass because Nico certainly can't, and has resorted to being a passive-aggressive child on the forums!

Goooo admin!

EDIT BY NICO: I've been out of high school for years but the only people who like me still ride the bus.

Last edited by The Mad Hatter on 10/9/2010, 16:33; edited 3 times in total
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Attention whore
Attention whore

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 9/9/2010, 08:58

Thanks for that elaborate post you obviously put some effort in. The problem with noob players on orange is known to all of us. Like you said this is preaching to the choir because almost everyone in this forum is an orange veteran and knows how to play it.

If you get frustrated of your teammates just try to hook up with those teammates that actually work with you. You can even use !addbuddy to tell the gscramble plugin your preference to stay on the same team with someone else. But then Mad Hatter may accuse you of teamstacking....

Like Mad Hatter said when playing sniper we appreciate it not to camp on CP2 and get out in the open more.

Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

http://www.pulpfortress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Epps 9/9/2010, 10:17

Eraserhead wrote:Like Mad Hatter said when playing sniper we appreciate it not to camp on CP2 and get out in the open more.
No stay a CP2 sniper, please! Those guys hardly ever check their back so they are easy to backstab or headshot with my super special spy powers!
Epps
Epps
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!
RINGO MOGIRE BEAM!

http://www.epps.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoboapple 9/9/2010, 18:59

The Mad Hatter wrote:I hope he takes this offensively. He's another 95%-of-the-time sniper whore (actual CP2 Camper, since the filter got turned off) trying to tell others how to play on Orange 3.

What the fuck, man.
Well if you're angry at him for sniping that probably means he killed you alot making you rage, meaning that he's doing the right job he described for snipers in his original post by killing nonsnipers. Unless of course you were sniping too in which case you're just being hypocritical
Hoboapple
Hoboapple

Back to top Go down

Post by 2LTCQOY 9/9/2010, 19:04

well put hobo
2LTCQOY
2LTCQOY

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mad Hatter 9/9/2010, 20:19

Yeah, Hobo. Or, maybe since he almost strictly plays sniper and sits in CP2 I eventually noticed the pattern when I played Sniper or not.

If I were playing sniper against him, I assure you I couldn't be sitting on CP2 to countersnipe him due to his...location preference.

Good observation, though. A for effort.
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Attention whore
Attention whore

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick 9/9/2010, 20:21

The Mad Hatter wrote:Yeah, Hobo. Or, maybe since he almost strictly plays sniper and sits in CP2 I eventually noticed the pattern when I played Sniper or not.

If I were playing sniper against him, I assure you I couldn't be sitting on CP2 to countersnipe him due to his...location preference.

Good observation, though. A for effort.

Mad Hatter I know this is the flame thrower, but your negativity makes me want to call the suicide hotline.
Nick
Nick
Clan Recruiter
Clan Recruiter

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mad Hatter 9/9/2010, 20:33

1-800-784-2433

They have a protocol for my victims, just tell them I sent you.
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Attention whore
Attention whore

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick 9/9/2010, 21:11

The Mad Hatter wrote:1-800-784-2433

I so hope that that is ur number, but i know it isn't, got the balls to post urs?
Nick
Nick
Clan Recruiter
Clan Recruiter

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoboapple 9/9/2010, 21:25

Nick wrote:
The Mad Hatter wrote:1-800-784-2433

I so hope that that is ur number, but i know it isn't, got the balls to post urs?
doesn't matter if he has the brains not to
Hoboapple
Hoboapple

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next