Pulp Fortress forum archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ka-Boom :) [DEMOMAN]

+6
Citizen
Eraserhead
Jonesie|UKCS|
Young Greezy
vladmirbsl69
Google
10 posters

Go down

Ka-Boom :) [DEMOMAN] Empty Ka-Boom :) [DEMOMAN]

Post by Google 2/4/2010, 20:57

Role: Area control, Spam, Building destruction
Strengths: Highest Damage output in the game
Weaknesses: Close combat, Somewhat slow

VS. Scout

Scouts are pretty tricky to hit, due to the fact that they are always jumping. It would be recommended to use your Grenade Launcher. In an open space, the key thing to kill is to hit them directly with a pipe bomb, but this may be quite difficult since Scouts are fast and always dodging. One technique is to lay a stickybomb on one side, then quickly switch to the Grenade Launcher and predict where the Scout would jump to. When you're inside a building, it's relatively easy to take them out with the Stickybomb Launcher.

VS. Pyro
These are really easy to take out. Since their only good at short-range, you can lay stickies directly under your feet while retreating and detonating them ASAP. Mostly all the Pyros that will chase you will follow you without strafing, so it would be really easy to just shoot them directly with the Grenade Launcher. [Keep in mind that a demo is slightly slower than a pyro].

VS. Sniper
Keep out of the sniper's range. If you are far away and want to kill him, for some odd reason, you can stickyjump to him. Just make sure that the sniper doesn't see you or else you will most probably will NOT get the kill. When close/mid range, treat him as if he were a pyro, if he was chasing you.

VS. Heavy
You must never take a heavy head-on, unless very very very VERY low HP. Always place some stickies near him detonate then shoot some pipe bombs. If you're low on stickies, it takes 4 pipe bombs to kill a non-overhealed heavy. If he has a medic with him, always aim for the medic first. Always use your surroundings to your advantages and hide from the heavy/medic when reloading and repeat the attack.

VS. Spy
If he supposedly misses a backstab, you can either:
  • Pipe bomb him
  • Bottle him

It would be best to bottle him if you are low on health and have no medic near you.

VS. Medic

A medic would always be healing someone. You have to first take out the medic then the person who he is healing. Since the medic is paying attention to healing the people on the team, he wouldn't really look down to see if there are stickies. So you can set a trap with the stickies and once he runs over the stickies, KA-BOOM!. If close-up you can use your Grenade Launcher. If the medic is alone and running away, try air-bursting stickies[detonate stickies when they are in the air near the medic].

VS. Engineer & Sentry

The engineer himself is easy to take out, if not near his base he built. Try to find spots where you can shoot stickies and not get shot by the Sentry. If your are long range, you can use the Grenade Launcher[as it would roll near the sentry and cause splash dmg] or you can charge your stickybomb launcher[Hold M1 for a few seconds or more then let go]. 1st option is recommended because if you use the second option then the engie would just shoot the stickies.

VS. Soldier
At first the Soldier vs Demo battle appears in favour of the Soldier, as he has a longer range and simpler aiming. However, as the Soldier is slow, he is easier to hit with direct pipes and airburst stickies. This means he should actually go down pretty quickly, if you can get within your preferred range. If the Soldier is competent and is rocket jumping around, then you should be able to sticky where he is going to land, or, if you’re really good, you could even try to airshot him with pipes. Airshotting is a pretty hard skill to master, so it's good to practice it.

VS. Demo
Whoever is better at direct piping and airbursting stickies will wins. Use ALL of the skills used against other classes – piping, airbursting, trapping, juggling – to gib your opponent into oblivion. If your close to melee range and ammo is scarce, getting your bottle out first will give you a significant advantage.
Google
Google
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Ka-Boom :) [DEMOMAN] Empty Re: Ka-Boom :) [DEMOMAN]

Post by vladmirbsl69 2/4/2010, 21:04

:chrome: i tip my hat of to you sir...
vladmirbsl69
vladmirbsl69

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Greezy 3/4/2010, 00:20

Impressive guide sir google.
Young Greezy
Young Greezy
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesie|UKCS| 3/4/2010, 03:52

If I was not a man I'd kiss ya!
Imagine if I hadn't been drunk he!

Jonesie|UKCS|
I am banned, sad face! Unban me! I don't deserve it !
I am banned, sad face! Unban me! I don't deserve it !

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 3/4/2010, 09:58

Google wrote:

VS. Scout

Scouts are pretty tricky to hit, due to the fact that they are always jumping. It would be recommended to use your Grenade Launcher. In an open space, the key thing to kill is to hit them directly with a pipe bomb, but this may be quite difficult since Scouts are fast and always dodging. One technique is to lay a stickybomb on one side, then quickly switch to the Grenade Launcher and predict where the Scout would jump to. When you're inside a building, it's relatively easy to take them out with the Stickybomb Launcher.

For those who want to learn with pipebombs i suggest this map: tr_airshot_v0
PS: I still have to tryout walkway.

Google wrote:VS. Pyro
These are really easy to take out. Since their only good at short-range, you can lay stickies directly under your feet while retreating and detonating them ASAP. Mostly all the Pyros that will chase you will follow you without strafing, so it would be really easy to just shoot them directly with the Grenade Launcher. [Keep in mind that a demo is slightly slower than a pyro].

You have to watch out not detonating the sticky behind the pyro or it will hurdle him towards you, happend to me the other day oh lol i got burned.

Google wrote:VS. Sniper
Keep out of the sniper's range. If you are far away and want to kill him, for some odd reason, you can stickyjump to him. Just make sure that the sniper doesn't see you or else you will most probably will NOT get the kill. When close/mid range, treat him as if he were a pyro, if he was chasing you.

Yea i always try to stickyjump to them and right before landing shoot some pipebombs at them.

Google wrote:VS. Heavy
You must never take a heavy head-on, unless very very very VERY low HP. Always place some stickies near him detonate then shoot some pipe bombs. If you're low on stickies, it takes 4 pipe bombs to kill a non-overhealed heavy. If he has a medic with him, always aim for the medic first. Always use your surroundings to your advantages and hide from the heavy/medic when reloading and repeat the attack.

What i try to do with heavies is shoot at least 4 stickies and detonate at the same time, then they are almost finished in most cases. From very close range when you get surprised by them use pipeboms is what i do.

Google wrote:
VS. Engineer & Sentry

The engineer himself is easy to take out, if not near his base he built. Try to find spots where you can shoot stickies and not get shot by the Sentry. If your are long range, you can use the Grenade Launcher[as it would roll near the sentry and cause splash dmg] or you can charge your stickybomb launcher[Hold M1 for a few seconds or more then let go]. 1st option is recommended because if you use the second option then the engie would just shoot the stickies.

I have also learned that a level2 sentry on the orange tower can be taken out whit pipebombs hitting the sentry directly while you are getting shot by the sentry. If you have full health you can survive it and take out the sentry with it and then the rest of the stuff. The demoman is really the biggest enemy of the engie. I know because they both two of my favourite classes.

Another tip i have on orange when you are on the tower and you are low on health run away on the outside ledge, when an enemy comes after you just place stickies on the wall and keep running backwards checking if he comes after you, place'm right around the corner and when he comes around.....KABOOM. Perfect trap. The inside of the tower is perfect domain for the demoman, i always place stickies on the wall in the middle of the ramps that lead to the roof, if they come down from there they are dead. Or placing them on the middle floor is fun too when people come up the don't expect stickies there.

PS: Google, please add an avatar to your forum profile! Also, do you have a mic?
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

http://www.pulpfortress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Google 3/4/2010, 10:19

Alright & I did but it broke and don't feel like buying a new one .
Google
Google
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 3/4/2010, 10:20

Oh would be nice to hear your voice, especially during the pugs. What did you think of the game we played yesterday?
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by vladmirbsl69 3/4/2010, 10:21

i think we already know what his avatar will be...
vladmirbsl69
vladmirbsl69

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 3/4/2010, 10:22

Yahoo icon?
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by vladmirbsl69 3/4/2010, 10:24

No it would be a digg icon of course
vladmirbsl69
vladmirbsl69

Back to top Go down

Post by Google 3/4/2010, 10:58

Eraserhead wrote:Oh would be nice to hear your voice, especially during the pugs. What did you think of the game we played yesterday?
Lmao , it was pretty fun .
--
I was leaning for a Ask.com icon ftl .
Google
Google
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Citizen 7/5/2010, 17:59

Nice guide, I think ti should be mentioned for attacking and defending the CPs on Pulp server's map, CP_Orange_x3

Middle:
O: If you are attacking the point lay 2-3 stickies just at the entrance above the stairs, if you put them all the wall going up to it most people have to common sense enough not to try it, and it's harder to land a direct one on their feet. Don't forget to lay a sticky at the both the side entrances in that corner to help get any spies or scouts jumping in behind you. A really easy guide is if you start taking damage blow them up.
If there is a set-up try getting a gist of where it's at then quickly pop in and out of the main entrance (if it's a level 1 or 2 sg with just the engy or another guy). If there are a lot up there try shooting some over from the side ramps. Most people familiar with the map are weary of this so they will try shooting you dead from the edge of the top, or jump down, lay one or two of your stickies just below you or at the edge to get them if they try going at you. (Make sure you are off of them first!)
D: Now defense. The first part of that offense can work if you are being swarmed although you really shouldn't just be camping, pop some pipes out the windows check the catwalks for spies, engy set-ups, and more.
Offense or De-fence a good idea is to lay one or two pipes from the ground all the way to the top of the tower. I can't count the times I've killed stray scouts trying to cap ahead with this technique, I try using it every-time I get out of spawn. Right as you get around that first corner start charging up a sticky, as you get around the next corner you should be able to shoot it up to the top. If you are just infront of the tower you can get one to the top with about 50-60% charged, with it a bit more forward on the top than you'd expect.

2nd:
D: You can do a similar strategy mentioned just above to get a stray spy or scout. If you are up close you can usually get a kill with your stickies or pipes considering the distance on upto a few guys. Also try sticky jumping to it from spawn if there are a lot of guys, you'd be down to about 50hp, although you can occasionally take out a medic.
O: if you want a quick jump ahead try sticky jumping from the very tip of your catwalk side toward it, a good jump with overcharge can leave you around 140.
When an engy has set up in that corner try using the short wall section you your advantage positioning stickies or pipes to hit into that corner.
When you are on it jump and crouch around like a mad man to make it hard for snipers to tag you. if you are infront of it(not on it) crouching snipers can only get you from the very corner of the forward wall at 1.

1st:
D: If you are losing fast lay some stickies on the point with about a 30-50% charge, you can also pipe spam it and go to the cabinet for auto reload.
A good strategy is having an idea of where the enemies are behind the wall, if you do you can usually lay a couple good stickies and get a few kills. Get good at aiming into the corner where the enemy engies set-up(you know where)
O: You won't see too much direct action, that's for soldiers and heavies.
Lay some of your stickies onto of that cube that the enemy stairs lead up onto, it will help protect your team from pesky scouts, spies, and soldiers. Even if they know that they are there They will be weary of it.
Pop a few spam stickies and pipes over that wall with the stairs, sometimes you can get some engy set-ups, random kills or at least a little damage.

Other Tips: As demo a lot of your shots will be blind shots so I HIGHLY recommend, if you havn't already, turning the setting that makes a sound at all the damage you give out. Multiplayer -> Advanced Opinions
Find a crosshair that works for you. Mine is a very small bright green circle.
For fun if you play demo a lot get the spray I got, it looks like stickies Laughing
Citizen
Citizen
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cake 8/5/2010, 05:06

Would be good if this gets stickied :]
Cake
Cake
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 8/5/2010, 09:13

Well i think all the topics in the tactics forum are good, so it would be a forum full of stickies Very Happy .

My compliments for this Citizen. Great job. It would be even more awesome if you added screenshots.

Also it would be really helpful if an experienced demo could give us a guide on badlands and granary where to place stickies and tell us the tactics.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UberLord 8/5/2010, 15:35

I love this, I'm practicing to be a better demoman, because personally, I think he's the most challenging class to master. I actually use most of these tactics already, but there were some nice ones. I don't play very many stock maps because if it's more than 6 on 6 I lag, because I have no graphics card. I use integrated graphics Sad
ANYWAY, I with demo could have gotten the class weapon from the war update, soldier just had a way better chance do to the fact that he's easier to use. I personally think that demoman is a good class for offense and defense, do to how quickly you can kill an enemy with mid-air detonations and pipe bombs.
UberLord
UberLord

Back to top Go down

Post by Google 8/5/2010, 15:42

Obviously Pyro is the hardest class to master Cool . I'm still wondering what the Demo would get if he won the war. A gunboats for him would be stupid to replace grenade or sticky launcher. But you always need a melee weapon so, uhh . -_-
Google
Google
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 8/5/2010, 16:12

@Uberlord If you can only play 6vs6 then check out www.tf2lobby.com you will find only those there.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Furgus 8/5/2010, 18:51

In my opnion the easiest classes to master are demoman, pyro and medic. Atleast in my opinion.
Furgus
Furgus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Citizen 9/5/2010, 01:12

Eraser, I think I may be able to throw up some screenshots. Now someone said they don't play stock maps because of their bad graphics card, I have the same issue, so I dedicated to trying to get really good at demo here, I have a good idea of the angles I need to plant stickies to the top based on what I can tell from the ground. (if I don't get sniped Razz )

Anyways I could make a guide for well planned sticky places on stock maps, although if you do I quick google search I am sure there are many more detailed better articles on that than anything I could make.
Citizen
Citizen
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by UberLord 9/5/2010, 11:45

On egypt, good places to place stickies are behind pillars. Another good thing is to spam the doors with pipe bombs at the beginning to hold them off as long as possible. Even if you don't kill them, they'll take a lot of damage which makes it easier for your team to kill them. Also, almost every map has little traffic cones on the point. You're stickies go inside of those and are unseen. It's a pretty clever tactic Smile
UberLord
UberLord

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 9/5/2010, 12:05

traffic cones?
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UberLord 9/5/2010, 12:07

You never noticed them? They were one of the first things I noticed. I'll go get a screenshot sometime if you want.
UberLord
UberLord

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro 11/7/2010, 00:50

Im also pro-demo, so if there is anything that you need to ask that google cant answer, ask me
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Google 11/7/2010, 15:09

Afro wrote:Im also pro-demo, so if there is anything that you need to ask that google cant answer, ask me
Lolrandombumpftw?
Google
Google
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro 11/7/2010, 16:09

Google wrote:
Afro wrote:Im also pro-demo, so if there is anything that you need to ask that google cant answer, ask me
Lolrandombumpftw?

EffaTeeDoubleYou?
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down