Pulp Fortress forum archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If we get a new server with map rotation

+13
Tidelag
Google
Jonesie|UKCS|
Cake
Eraserhead
1TheGizmo
hyce777
Nicobbq
Furgus
Nick
Young Greezy
Epps
Afro
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

If we get a new server with map rotation - Page 2 Empty Re: If we get a new server with map rotation

Post by Google 10/6/2010, 17:04

Radio mod seems alright, maybe 10 sec respawn also?

Last edited by Google on 10/6/2010, 17:24; edited 1 time in total
Google
Google
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

If we get a new server with map rotation - Page 2 Empty Re: If we get a new server with map rotation

Post by Tidelag 10/6/2010, 17:11

Shouldn't the respawn time be on default?
Tidelag
Tidelag
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by hyce777 10/6/2010, 17:33

Please could we do payload maps? 24x7 CP is cool, but Payload is my favorite by far and it is also competitive, just not in a real established sense.
hyce777
hyce777
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro 10/6/2010, 18:06

I was thinking....
18 People
Vanilla but with Stats
No topstreak or anything like that.
Nocrits
No Rtv so each map gets played equally
Each map have the standard time, but....
For PL maps- Each Team does offense and defense twice.
For CP maps- 4 Wins/Losses
For KoTH maps- 4 Wins

Gravelpit(CP)
Yukon(CP)
Granary(CP)
Pipeline(PLR)
Turbine(CTF)
Fastlane(CP)
Viaduct(KoTH)
Follower(CP)
Well(CP)
Freight(CP)
Goldrush(PL)
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 10/6/2010, 20:29

Chuck wrote:things that still need to be installed...(please)?

RTV
10 second respawn(one that doesn't change)
Radio mod?(I like this and is very nice if it doesn't take up much room

Jameless will put radiomod on orange and rotation server. He is also working on the votes.
I have already enabled all other relevant plugins as you may have noticed. I deleted all the arenamaps from the server.
Crits are off and weaponspread is fixed.

Right now i see orange has 24 players and rotation has 18 so both are full cheers
But i guess this is because of the update that just came out.

I think changing the server to a fixed map for a week or changing it to one kind of game would create too much discussion right now so lets just remove the bad maps and make sure we can let the crowd work with rtv to change it to their favorite maps.

I will make another topic about maps.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

http://www.pulpfortress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hyce777 10/6/2010, 21:24

I don't think we should have a limit to map playtimes. I'd like it how we do it at CGMZ. Pick a map to start on, play it til we get bored or it get's RTV'ed. Always the most fun option, IMO.
hyce777
hyce777
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicobbq 10/6/2010, 22:10

Oh! If only we hat a map rotation server

68.232.179.2:27015

wait what!
Very Happy
Nicobbq
Nicobbq
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 14/6/2010, 09:00

I noticed our new server was empty yesterday. We have to try and build a steady crowd for that server so people keep it in their favorites lists.

Therefore i request on the admins to make steam events with our PULP steam community group to get the server filled. There are already a few people who have it in their list and will join when they see other people playing, so it's not that hard.

Also we should try to expand our steam community group by sending invites. Who will be the volunteers for these tasks this week?

Next week we can have some other admins do this job.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesie|UKCS| 14/6/2010, 12:32

I can do this job. I wanna help our third server by getting a steady crowd!

Jonesie|UKCS|
I am banned, sad face! Unban me! I don't deserve it !
I am banned, sad face! Unban me! I don't deserve it !

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 14/6/2010, 14:23

Great! What i used to do with orange (and Gibbo helped too). After you logout of the game, go to recent players>open their steam ID page>invite to PULP group.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Zurkov 14/6/2010, 20:00

Try not to be too aggressive with events and invitations. I've had times where groups sent out an obnoxious number of event requests on a regular basis; it makes you want to remove the group because either you don't play very much and the constant interruptions are frustrating, or you play a lot already and don't need constant reminding.
Lord Zurkov
Lord Zurkov
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 20/6/2010, 19:34

I'm gonna revive this topic again. I played on the rotation server for a decent amount of hours today:

-turbine
-gravelpit
-freight
-fastlane
-dustbowl
-granary
-nucleus

It was very hard to get a proper amount of players on the server. We had the most players on fastlane and dustbowl. I did multiple steam events which did not attract many players. I noticed each time players left the server when the map changed. Weird: out of 8 people 5 vote for nucleus and when nucleus gets on only 3 players are left.

So i think we should maybe revert back to the idea of putting on a different map each week that stays on for the whole week? That way less people will disconnect because it switches to another map. On the other hand the few players in our base might get bored from it. But we can at least try it?

Looking forward to your idea's.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick 20/6/2010, 19:40

Eraserhead wrote:I'm gonna revive this topic again. I played on the rotation server for a decent amount of hours today:

-turbine
-gravelpit
-freight
-fastlane
-dustbowl
-granary
-nucleus

It was very hard to get a proper amount of players on the server. We had the most players on fastlane and dustbowl. I did multiple steam events which did not attract many players. I noticed each time players left the server when the map changed. Weird: out of 8 people 5 vote for nucleus and when nucleus gets on only 3 players are left.

So i think we should maybe revert back to the idea of putting on a different map each week that stays on for the whole week? That way less people will disconnect because it switches to another map. On the other hand the few players in our base might get bored from it. But we can at least try it?

Looking forward to your idea's.

I like that idea a lot, make a vote on the forums so everyone has to sign up on the forums to vote Smile
Nick
Nick
Clan Recruiter
Clan Recruiter

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Greezy 20/6/2010, 19:48

I agree with this. The only thing is, let's look at the map types.

We've got CP, CTF, KOTH, ARENA, and PL.

Realistically, I can see us doing CP, CTF, and PL weeks, but KOTH, ARENA, etc, I don't see working.
Young Greezy
Young Greezy
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by jameless 20/6/2010, 21:18

I honestly think our lack of having players stick around is the lack of Pulp members seeding it. The map changing or the round ending both will result in some people leaving. But if we have a steady stream of Pulp members in there more people will keep joining until we find the guys that want to stick around.

I think we forget about what a round end looks like because we play Orange so often. Takes forever to complete a round on Orange sometimes. But if you'll notice that when a round ends on Orange people will leave. It's just the nature of the beast. It feels like Work Complete! and people remember they have lives outside of the game that they go tend to.

I think we should give RTV a bit more time before giving up on it. Let's just work on keeping Pulp members in it.
jameless
jameless
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 20/6/2010, 22:07

jameless wrote:I honestly think our lack of having players stick around is the lack of Pulp members seeding it.

True but the sad fact is that i only see a few of our hardcore members joining the server. A lot of our 40 members hardly visit the server or visit the forums to even read this topic.

jameless wrote:The map changing or the round ending both will result in some people leaving.
Not true, i have seen many rounds end and only maybe 1 or 2 left but when the map changes sometimes 8-10 people left.

jameless wrote:But if we have a steady stream of Pulp members in there more people will keep joining until we find the guys that want to stick around.
I wish we could do this but look at our frequent players, it's hard to do.

jameless wrote:I think we forget about what a round end looks like because we play Orange so often. Takes forever to complete a round on Orange sometimes. But if you'll notice that when a round ends on Orange people will leave. It's just the nature of the beast. It feels like Work Complete! and people remember they have lives outside of the game that they go tend to.
I agree and thats why i got the idea to to let a map run for a week because it's much easier on the orange server because the map never changes. Same principle.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jameless 20/6/2010, 22:32

Eraserhead wrote:
jameless wrote:The map changing or the round ending both will result in some people leaving.
Not true, i have seen many rounds end and only maybe 1 or 2 left but when the map changes sometimes 8-10 people left.
True that not as many people will leave at round end vs map end but people will still leave.

I agree to trying whatever it takes to get people in there but I think we will keep discouraging ourselves if we expect to see a drastic difference instantly. No matter what changes we make we have to make sure we stick with them long enough to see if they work. RTV has been up for a week and a few days. The very first weekend we had RTV in there it stayed busy for most of the day. Longer so than Orange did. But that was because we always had a few Pulp members in there. I'll bet you if we have no Pulp members enter orange for a few days it will die down in there as well. Perhaps not down to empty but solely because of the regulars we've accumulated.

As you all know though I am up for anything. So if we do keep a map for a week then the map selection is super critical. I vote freight for the first week.
jameless
jameless
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 21/6/2010, 06:25

lol i would have voted freight too. But first lets try another week with rtv and evaluate at the end of this week?
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jameless 21/6/2010, 07:01

Yea that would be cool. I just have 1 thing to say.

Hey guys! You wanted a rotation server so badly that we had like 5 threads begging for it! NOW GO PLAY ON IT!!!

That is all.

cheers
jameless
jameless
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Google 21/6/2010, 10:16

jameless wrote:Yea that would be cool. I just have 1 thing to say.

Hey guys! You wanted a rotation server so badly that we had like 5 threads begging for it! NOW GO PLAY ON IT!!!

That is all.

cheers
The thing is, is that people don't like joining an empty server and waiting for someone to join if they can just join another server.
Google
Google
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick 21/6/2010, 10:25

to what google said....

It should be your duty as a PULP member to not see an empty server, but see an opportunity to fill up a server with all of your friends and have a great time.
Nick
Nick
Clan Recruiter
Clan Recruiter

Back to top Go down

Post by jameless 21/6/2010, 10:27

that's exactly our point. The server doesn't fill itself. Someone needs to seed it. I was hoping that since our pulp members have been asking for the server they would take it upon themslves to help fill it by seeding it.
jameless
jameless
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 21/6/2010, 10:28

Orange was an empty server too for a long time i was the first to join it each day and waited till others would join. That's the reason while i'm no1 in the ranks too lol.

My point is that it takes a long time to collect a steady userbase. Over the months that followed i would personally invite people to come and play and do events. Those people would add the server to their favorites and join when they would see people playing on it just like you said. But it takes someone to enter the server and get it going. Nowadays there are just regulars who join our empty server because the userbase is so big that when they join someone else will join shortly after that. And thats what we need to accomplish for our rotation server. It's just hard work and the willingness to play with maybe 5 people instead of 24 players. Yesterday i started out with me and Havik playing but after an hour the server had 16 players.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Greezy 21/6/2010, 11:21

A lot of times, what I will do is directly leech off of the orange server. I'll make a vote "Anybody want to go to our rotation server" "Sure" "Nope" and then I'll put in chat that you can switch by typing !servers. This really helps. Also, if the orange server is full and you do this, it usually fills back up really quickly, and if you can take like 10 people from the orange server, it will fill to 18 very fast.

Last edited by Young Greezy on 21/6/2010, 13:29; edited 1 time in total
Young Greezy
Young Greezy
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoboapple 21/6/2010, 13:27

Young Greezy wrote:A lot of times, what I will do is directly leech off of the orange server. I'll make a vote "Anybody want to go to our rotation server" "Sure" "Nope" and then I'll put in chat that you can switch by typing !servers. This really helps. Also, if the orange server is full and you do this, it usually fills back up really quickly, and if you can take like 10 people from the rotation server, it will fill to 18 very fast.
Yes, this is a great help. Very Happy
Hoboapple
Hoboapple

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next