Pulp Fortress forum archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rotation Server

+10
Eraserhead
hyce777
miht
Nicobbq
Hoboapple
Afro
Young Greezy
Google
Furgus
Nick
14 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Rotation Server - Page 2 Empty Re: Rotation Server

Post by hyce777 19/8/2010, 17:10

Young Greezy wrote:
hyce777 wrote:How about having fun and not caring?

Not how it works hyce. Not how it works.

That's how it works at -CGMZ-, and yes, it works.
hyce777
hyce777
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Greezy 19/8/2010, 17:16

hyce777 wrote:
Young Greezy wrote:

When you can run your own server(s?) consistently from someone's house without paying that you can do that sort of stuff. It's not like the CGMZ server is populated very often though, and I don't think attracts a lot of the same demographic we're targeting.
Young Greezy
Young Greezy
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Furgus 19/8/2010, 20:25

Well, if not ammomod. Then make it like any other stock server.

Votemap plugin

Maps:

Dustbowl
turbine
Goldrush
badwater
ctfort
well
ect.

My worst idea: Make a rotation of orange maps.
Furgus
Furgus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hyce777 20/8/2010, 01:20

Young Greezy wrote:
hyce777 wrote:
Young Greezy wrote:

When you can run your own server(s?) consistently from someone's house without paying that you can do that sort of stuff. It's not like the CGMZ server is populated very often though, and I don't think attracts a lot of the same demographic we're targeting.

We need an ice-pack right here
hyce777
hyce777
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 20/8/2010, 14:25

Stop with that quoting please Hyce, this is serious topic. I kinda missed but good to see all the responses.

First let me all remind you of this topic, and specifically page 3:
http://forum.pulpfortress.com/suggestions-f17/if-we-get-a-new-server-with-map-rotation-t961-30.htm

Yesterday i went on the rotation server and i made a simple event called 'Cold on the PulpFront'. Someone joined immediately, in 3 minutes 6 people joined and within 15 minutes the server had 18 players. I had to leave but when i looked 3 hours later the server still had 16 players and it was still on coldfront.

So let's get some facts straight before i give my opinion:

-this week we exceeded 1000 members in our steamgroup, YAY!
-we disabled map timelimit because everytime the map changes people leave and eventually the server dies out. Leaving it on the same map untill people rtv works fine. Last night was proof of this.
-right now we need more competitive players because we could use good backups for our scrimteam or maybe even form a 2nd scrimteam
-custom maps don't work unfotunately, people have to download them and simply disconnect. only works with lots of persistence and if you've build a steady playerbase
-we cannot split the server, minimum # slots is 10. Less then 12 slots only makes sense for ammomod or deathmatch server. It would be an option to make one of these server if we have more funds but first we need more donators and like Geezy said apparently ammomod market is saturated so right now it would not work
-The most played maps are known and can be found on tf2stats, i posted them earlier in this topic
-It is a fact that the most popular maps attract noobs and cp and koth will attract competitive players
-we have mapratings. Simple fact when looking at the results of maps that got at least 50 votes is that Hightower, Badwater, Coldfront, Turbine, Granary, Upward, Gravelpit, Thundermountain, Badlands, Gorge, Goldrush, Nucleus, Egypt and Freight are the most popular maps on our rotation server so far (in this order).
-rtv is not used very often, only works when a lot of members are on the server. It seems other people are not aware of feature and/or advertisements or simply like to keep playing the same map and then leave.

My opinion:

-I don't think we should change anything right now if we have not simply tried to get the server filled on a daily basis first, last night i proved how simple this is.
-There is nothing wrong with having fun, in fact that's the main idea when playing TF2 if you ask me. Competitive is fun too but lets try to find a balance between competitive and pure fun. The mods Nico suggested are great fun but we could do them with members only on the VIP server for now. In the future we can branch out maybe a dedicated server with zombie fortress or w/e.
-we could make some other advertisements on the rotation server like: Pulp Fortress is recruiting new members for their scrimteams. Join now!
-we could lower the amount of needed players that type rtv to bring up the vote
-maybe we should remove some of the maps from the list that rtv presents when the vote is rocked, but i think it's better to first finish this thread and then we could evaluate the maps again
-once we have a steady crowd we could start changing the maps slowly, i like this idea of Furgus and i also agree with Greezy that we want competitive players but first we need the server filled on a daily basis and then we can make it more competitive. We already have nocrits and fixed weaponspread so people who are noobs now and like our server will eventually grow into competitive players (some of them).
-we could maybe make some more modifications to make the server a bit more fun, like bonus round time as dicussed in this topic
-we already have the !servers/!swapme command on orange, however it would be cool if the plugin could display the current map and nr of players on the rotation server so people could switch over, you aren't gonna switch to an empty server, if you do you never do it again
-Chuck said it would help if the person that will populate the server have admin powers. I agree that having an admin on will help but it's not per se needed. With rtv you can change the map if you have just one single person who joins you.

I think it is important right now for our clan to:

-keep the rotation server filled on a daily basis, lets start with the evenings
-play on as many maps as possible
-invite people to our community group
-recruit more members

To do this we simply need volunteers who want to fill an empty server, it's an effort of a few minutes if all goes ok. If it doesn't it might mean the map isn't very popular.

Who wants to do this job TODAY?
Who will do it saturday?
Who on sunday?

To discuss maps i revived an old topic

PS: People who are able to fill our server will have a good chance on getting promoted to admin.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

http://www.pulpfortress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LieuTennet 20/8/2010, 14:35

i can do it tomorrow
LieuTennet
LieuTennet

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Greezy 20/8/2010, 16:45

I pledge to populate it starting tonight. I promise it will be populated tonight. Do I have the ability to make steam events in the PULP group?
Young Greezy
Young Greezy
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick 20/8/2010, 16:56

I was gonna tell yall this last night but my internet went out because of a storm but anyway

make two of the slots on the server reserved for the pulp 5 dollar a month guys
put comp class limits on the server
make a vote near the end of the map to choose the next map
only put popular cevo approved maps on the server
Nick
Nick
Clan Recruiter
Clan Recruiter

Back to top Go down

Post by Google 20/8/2010, 17:45

Chuck wrote:I was gonna tell yall this last night but my internet went out because of a storm but anyway

make two of the slots on the server reserved for the pulp 5 dollar a month guys
put comp class limits on the server
make a vote near the end of the map to choose the next map
only put popular cevo approved maps on the server
1. People don't want to donate to just so they have a reserved spot[unless they love our servers and want to be a regular], when they can find another server w/ same map and same player cap. So the more open spots the better.

2. That won't work out b/c 18 slots, 9vs9, comp = 6v6, highlander = 9v9, but highlander sucks.

3. Vote near end of map-- define end of map.

4. Ehh, wouldn't be better for popular maps in general?
Google
Google
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Greezy 20/8/2010, 17:54

You put a timer on rounds and when 2 mins are left, you initiate a mapvote.
Young Greezy
Young Greezy
Scrim Team Captain
Scrim Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick 20/8/2010, 17:56

Young Greezy wrote:You put a timer on rounds and when 2 mins are left, you initiate a mapvote.

this, and i have seen 8 man servers be really good, tf2f servers?
Nick
Nick
Clan Recruiter
Clan Recruiter

Back to top Go down

Post by Google 20/8/2010, 17:58

Young Greezy wrote:You put a timer on rounds and when 2 mins are left, you initiate a mapvote.
Yea I knew that, but I meant like when would you start the mapvote.
Google
Google
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick 20/8/2010, 18:48

Google wrote:
Yea I knew that, but I meant like when would you start the mapvote.

I believe the quote is the answer to your question...any other questions we should take seriously?
Nick
Nick
Clan Recruiter
Clan Recruiter

Back to top Go down

Post by Furgus 21/8/2010, 16:53

I was on the server today, and the server was on cp_thunderstorm... . When I got there the server was already populated with a couple of people. After that more people came in until there were 16/18 people in the server. I was thinking maybe we could put one map a day on the server. And see if it gets populated. If it does we could add that map to our rotation server. For example thunderstorm mountain got populated very quickly. Since people mostly play during the weekends. We could just keep a map the whole day on a Sunday, or Saturday. At the end of the day, we would see if the map got populated. If it did we add it to our rotation or list of map and just change it to our usual rotation. And we would do this every weekend until we have gotten a full rotation of maps. Also, after one of the rounds were over. Either Miht or Greezy enabled votemap and we all voted for a map. So that shows you votemap is a lot better than rtv. Also most servers now a days don't use rtv. We could set up the votemap as shown below:

Votemap:
1. Extend map 10/20 minutes
2. Turbine
3. granary
4. yukon

What do you guys think????

Furgus
Furgus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Google 21/8/2010, 17:04

Furgus wrote:I was on the server today, and the server was on cp_thunderstorm... . When I got there the server was already populated with a couple of people. After that more people came in until there were 16/18 people in the server. I was thinking maybe we could put one map a day on the server. And see if it gets populated. If it does we could add that map to our rotation server. For example thunderstorm mountain got populated very quickly. Since people mostly play during the weekends. We could just keep a map the whole day on a Sunday, or Saturday. At the end of the day, we would see if the map got populated. If it did we add it to our rotation or list of map and just change it to our usual rotation. And we would do this every weekend until we have gotten a full rotation of maps. Also, after one of the rounds were over. Either Miht or Greezy enabled votemap and we all voted for a map. So that shows you votemap is a lot better than rtv. Also most servers now a days don't use rtv. We could set up the votemap as shown below:

Votemap:
1. Extend map 10/20 minutes
2. Turbine
3. granary
4. yukon

What do you guys think????

The map ratings let us know the popular maps[if you don't press 1 just to hide the voting menu]. -- Pretty much if you have like around 6 players on the server then it will get populated, obvious. Isn't votemap the same as rtv?
Google
Google
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick 21/8/2010, 17:25

Google wrote:The map ratings let us know the popular maps[if you don't press 1 just to hide the voting menu]. -- Pretty much if you have like around 6 players on the server then it will get populated, obvious. Isn't votemap the same as rtv?

yah
Nick
Nick
Clan Recruiter
Clan Recruiter

Back to top Go down

Post by Furgus 21/8/2010, 18:35

Yeah but rtv doesn't initiate after a certain amount or rounds. Votemap keeps the server rotating maps. Or just staying on the same map for an extra 20 minute. Votemap also catches the players attention. But rtv is just there. And if someone remembers to use rtv. Not to many people will use it.
Furgus
Furgus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Google 21/8/2010, 20:32

Refer to Eraser's post:
-we disabled map timelimit because everytime the map changes people leave and eventually the server dies out. Leaving it on the same map untill people rtv works fine. Last night was proof of this.

To have votemap initiate after a certain amount of rounds will defeat the purpose of no time limit, so will the extend for __ minutes option.

Idk if there isn't like 'rtv if you want to change the map' announcement thing on the server, but if there isn't then might as well add it and make it repeat frequently.

Edit: Made for you Furgus.

Rotation Server - Page 2 Lolcheckmate
Google
Google
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Furgus 21/8/2010, 21:49

lol
Furgus
Furgus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Google 21/8/2010, 21:51

^Gtfo, spam post.
Google
Google
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Furgus 21/8/2010, 21:57

Rotation Server - Page 2 Google-yahoo-bill

Quote: "It's not what you think it is."

lol
Furgus
Furgus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 22/8/2010, 18:11

Hi, i wasn't online for 2 days. How did populating the server go on friday (Greezy) and Saturday (Tennet)? I see it's empty today, no one volunteered Crying or Very sad for today.

Guys, i see all these suggestions like class limits and voting on maps etc but it's really simple. Before talking about WHAT you want to change first talk about WHY? If you want to make this server into a 100% competitve server then the suggestions Chuck made are valid, otherwise they won't work.

Changing the map is not an issue right now, it does not help us in getting a larger userbase.
I think that should be our not misunderstand goal for the coming period: build a lager playerbase.

Once we accomplished this we can afford to experiment with maps. When you have 12 players on the server and switch map, 6 might leave. 10 players remain and because of our small playerbase only 1 or 2 connect. When map switches again even more leave and server empties.

We already tried automated voting at the end of timelimit. It results in people leaving the server when map changes...
This contradicts the goal we want to accomplish.

So, do you agree with this goal? Who wants to volunteer for monday, tuesday and wednesday to make an event and get the server filled?
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Furgus 22/8/2010, 18:20

Okay I guess I agree with you, Eraserhead.

I had another idea. If you go to the list of all the servers in tf2. You will see alot of them where it says:

[NO HEROES] Playload Race|512 FPS|HLStatsx
[NO HEROES] Badwater/Goldrush|512 FPS|HLStatsx

These names give off what kind of maps the server will have at all times. If we want population we should make a rotation of Popular maps.

<<<PULP FORTRESS>>> Playload Race
<<<PULP FORTRESS>>> Badwater/Goldrush

Also if we force our members to play in the server on Sunday's for atleast an hour/ or 30 minutes. Then people will join our server while other people leave. This will bring some regular players on the server. Maybe we could fill our server with 10/18 members on every Sunday. So other players could join the server and play. Then people will come in and go out of the server. But hopefully it will still stay populated.

Also, what attracts a lot of people are HLStatsx. It gives a feel for competitiveness. Maybe we should change our server name to something like this.

<<<PULP FORTRESS>>> Badwater/Goldrush|Ranking

This would be an ideal server name. This is how I think, but maybe you guys have some criticism against my idea.

Furgus
Furgus
Clan Member
Clan Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Eraserhead 22/8/2010, 18:46

We don't use HLStatsX plugin on our servers because we chose for TF2stats. We can't change it anymore without losing the rankings as they are. Apart from that TF2stats is better because it's a TF2 specific ranking system which HLstatsX isn't. HLstatsX is just an easy (hosted) fix for lazy admins. It might have an attraction factor but screw that, the actual ranking features outweigh the attention grabber features.

Choosing two maps might be a good idea but then again i think most PULP members would become bored to play there themself. And it should stay fun to play on our own servers at all times.
Eraserhead
Eraserhead
Senior Game Admin
Senior Game Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LieuTennet 22/8/2010, 18:49

Friday it got filled, when i remembered on sat that i was supposed to fill it i came in and it was filled so i stayed for a couple maps
LieuTennet
LieuTennet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next